Sunrise

Chapter 12 - The game

I was so sick of rehearsals!

My life at the time was rushing from classrooms to the theatre room and from the theatre room to classrooms. I barely saw Courtney out of classes on those days. It was just Jade and Yuki 24/7 and I don't want to complain, but the thing is - I'm complaining.

Chris helped me a lot, but he couldn't pay attention to every one of us at the same time. Beth wasn't any help. Being the lead got her big-head even bigger and very busy. With busy, I mean that when someone approached her; she started reciting her lines and pretending she couldn't give us one minute of attention. As I'm a very polite person I'm not saying what she is for doing that, but the word starts with a B and just crossed your mind.

About Micah? Still really cute, still very unapproachable, still indecisive.

Am I forgetting someone? Oh, shoot! Reed's tennis match!

Rehearsal was almost over so I could go watch it. My scenes and Jade's were over, so we approached Miss Wick and asked her to go out earlier.

"And why would I let you go?" she asked without looking at us.

"Because... we're not doing anything here?" I tried, but my voice faltered when she finally looked at us with her icy glare.

"Not doing anything? Pardon me, Miss di Laurentis, but if you see it like that, maybe you really shouldn't be here"

Was she dismissing me?

"Aren't you learning from watching your much older and experienced colleagues perform?"

I gulped. What does one answer in such a situation?

Fortunately, an angel came to rescue me.

"What AJ meant was that, as much as we appreciate the opportunity to learn, we also want to explore all the school offers, enter the spirit. And there is going to be a tennis match against another school now and we wanted to support our mates. I believe your nephew is playing?"

Realisation flashed across her face when she heard the mention of Reed. I bet she told him she was going too.

"Mm, go, we should all go," she muttered with a dismissive wave and we grabbed our stuff and left while she finished the rehearsal sooner.

We went to the dorms first to leave our stuff and there we found Courtney laying on the bed with a bored look and chatting with Keisha, a fifth-grader who helped write the script for the play.

"Finally! Took you long enough," Court complained when she looked at us. "Are we going or what?"

"Sorry, we were..."

"Yeah, I know," she cut me off.

I threw my bag to the corner of my 'bedroom' and undressed the uniform that was making me sweaty and changed it to a practical pair of jeans and a hoodie. Jade also changed, but she had her button-up shirt and pencil skirt, the only type of clothing I ever saw her wear besides the bloody uniform.