Sunset

Chapter 15 - Peace

White ceiling stares at me as my eyes flutter open, focusing on that one crack on the painting just above me

White ceiling stares at me as my eyes flutter open, focusing on that one crack on the painting just above me. I yawn lazily, rolling on the navy shits of the small bed. I take a moment to remember where I am.

James' loft. Right.

Last night comes back slowly; Louis, my father, Reed.

I sit up, reaching for my phone. Five missed calls from Courtney glow in the screen, along with a text from mum, answering the message I had sent her last night. She didn't bother to call, knowing I needed to cool down. Still, I can already imagine the punishments she must have planned because of my dramatic escape. Oh, and the sermon!

It's eight in the morning. School starts in half an hour. I have to get home.

Yesterday's clothes laid on a chair and I put them back on, the dark day peeking through the window making me regret it. James' large t-shirt is way more welcoming than my pink tank top. Not going to lie.

Making as little noise as possible, I go to the living room.

James is sleeping on the sofa, the thick blanket wrapped up in his legs, barely covering him. I glance at him (yes; I know I'm creepy, deal with it). It's still hard to believe that this is Reed, the skinny sports kid hater of tennis.

He's still the scowling, annoyed boy I knew so long ago, but that was not the man I got to know. James might be closed off, yet the sweet way he displayed with me is not the same as Reed did.

Even if they're one. As I look at him now, at this brunette, tall, tattooed man with whom I shared many conversations, it doesn't feel real.

I take a step back when I see him shift and, being the sofa as limited as it was, he falls on the floor.

He complains and I flinch at the roll of words I'm not repeating.

I clear my throat and he looks at me, getting up and squeezing his left shoulder.

"Oh, you...you're already awake...and dressed..." he mumbles.

"Can you take me home? Please," I rush.

I don't want to go to school, even less knowing that later I'll have to deal with whatever father nonsense there is to fix, but I don't want to stay here either, barging into his house. Besides, mum must be worried sick.

James' eyes lock with mine, something like hurt flashing over his face. His voice was a little hoarse when he speaks "Morning to you too"

"Sorry, good morning," I smile.

"So, you want to leave?"

Realising my own words, the first words I had said to him today, I feel bad for being so blunt. I don't want him to think I'm not grateful for being here.