Sunset

Chapter 5 - Bitter drink

It's so cold!

Although I look remarkably hot, I'm already rethinking my life choices. Why did I bring a sleeveless shirt?

I rush inside WOTT, jumping from a foot to the other, probably making a fool of myself, and take my usual seat. I don't even order since Gema is already placing my milkshake on the counter.

"Good morning," I ignore his voice, sipping on my drink as if he wasn't there. Still, he doesn't give up. "Are you mad?"

Last night, when I got home, I had time to think about our date and even if it feels marvellous to be with him; I don't want to share him. I refuse to go back to our daily routine before he ends his other relationship.

I sigh "Look, I like you, a lot, but you don't like me as much apparently, or maybe not all the time. If you want to be with me, it has to be always, and it has to be exclusive. Is that hard?"

He stares, somehow sad, and tells me, "Of course not, Avery. I already told you I'm solving things with him. Yesterday was just..."

"Yesterday was just you delaying things, proving that you're a liar, that I shouldn't trust," I accuse him. I needed a reaction. I needed to know if he could deny it or if maybe, just maybe, there was some truth in my words.

"No. I'm sorry I'm making things hard for you, but I swear you don't have to worry about him."

"You know what this feels like for me?" my eyes meet his and my voice is bitter, though I'm smiling "It feels like you're cheating on him with me"

James is quiet for a minute. I imagine he must be trying to find a way it looks better, but he knows I'm right, no matter the nature of their relationship.

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but I can assure you're doing nothing wrong."

Nodding, I swallow and look back at my hands against the stone white counter. I veer my attention back to my milkshake.

I'm two months away from graduating and to me, this year were the mornings spent at WOTT drinking my blueberry milkshake and chatting with him, laughing and being silly. And the thing is that I didn't do any move on him and he never tried either. Unless we're counting that milkshake on Monday.

That Monday was special to me until I saw them together. In my mind, he would tell me he was falling head over heels for me just as hard as I was for him. Clearly, I was wrong.

Caught up in my thoughts, I don't even notice him talking to me until he lays a hand on my shoulder.

"You're freezing"

My head snaps up. He is right. I knew it since I got out of the house.

"You're going to get sick drinking that."