Sunrise

Chapter 20 - Goodbye

"Anderson to Williams, Williams to Lyman

"Anderson to Williams, Williams to Lyman. And Lyman sprints to the other half of the camp! He avoids Marvin, and he's about to... Nooooooooo! Marvin just threw Lyman to the ground! What a filthy cheater!" Louis yelled at the mic.

The guy adored doing that. I'm pretty sure he failed the year intentionally so he could keep the job.

The game was about to end, and we were losing. The lacrosse team had suffered many losses, and not to offend them, but they sucked. That wasn't news. It was clear for the past two years.

I remember when Reed left, almost four years ago, with all the rest of the sports team. Their places were filled with new inexperienced players. You'd think meanwhile they'd be at the same level they were, but they sucked. The entire team was on Dean and Micah's shoulders.

The game was soon over and I went downstairs to the labyrinthian corridor under the bleachers. I sat down on a bench next to Jade, waiting for the boys to shower.

"We're moving to the US," she said out of nowhere. "They called me this morning. As soon as I finish this year, I can start packing," she explained.

Deeks said he was going to teach her many years ago, but he didn't. One day he just left, just like Reed and Beth. And Chris and Keisha said bon voyage too. Only Loui stayed. I know that's growing up and there's nothing to avoid it, but it still hurts. Losing Jade didn't shock me that much. We were fifth-graders already. We would all follow different paths.

"That's... good. Right? Are you going to that fancy acting school?"

"I think so. But I'm going to be away from you"

"We'll keep in touch, we'll find a way"

She smiled sadly, as if she didn't believe it that much, but I refused to acknowledge that I was losing her.

The locker's room's door opened, spreading mist and a potent scent of perfume along with shouting voices. Dean was already dressed and leaving the room, along with three other guys. He saw us and joined us on the bench.

"One hundred ways how to lose a lacrosse game by Dean Williams," I chanted, much to his dismay.

"Did you notice the fact that Micah was the one who let himself be hit by that FHS guy, right?"

"Excuses" I mocked. Any other time I wouldn't have cared, but FHS is our biggest rival since the beginning of time.

He sat next to me and put his arm around my shoulders. "I'm thinking you're just with me to criticise my game strategies"

"Perks of dating the team's captain," I said, and he pecked my lips, making Jade gag.

"I'm going with the guys. See you later?"

I nodded, and he left. We stayed there, looking at the wall, until Micah finally came out.

"Hey, Grass Kisser," I called him, "Coach said he wants to talk to you"