Sunrise

Chapter 8 - The ballerina

"So it's a film about dancing?"

"Basically," I shrugged.

"Sounds cool"

Of course, it was cool. Step Up was my all-time favourite franchise, and I aspired to one day be just like Andy.

That night, when they slept at my place, they'd know just how amazing it was. Unless they couldn't make it. Although Courtney's parents didn't mind, Jade was still reluctant to call hers.

Even if they didn't let her come, we could have just spent the night there.

"I hope you have fun," she sighed.

"Jade!" I argued. "Come on, just call them. I'm sure it will be fine"

She laughed humourlessly, "Yeah, sure"

"If you don't call, you'll never know," Courtney agreed with me.

Jade sat up, rolled her eyes, and started pulling the grass from beside her. Poor grass.

"You know what?" Courtney jumped to her feet. "Let's go steal some pudding from the kitchen, that'll make you feel better"

"I don't know..."

"Come on!"

She grabbed Courtney's hand and let her pull her up. I stared at them from the ground, crossing my arms behind my head. Jade looked like a goddess with a halo of sun around her. I hope she doesn't move. I don't need all that light on my eyes.

"Aren't you coming, AJ?" Court asked.

"Nah, I'm cool"

"Okay. See you later," she said before leaving for the canteen.

As soon as she left, the sun hit my face, and I closed my eyes tightly. I had to move a little to the side, under the shadow of a tree. The sun was still warm against my skin, but it was no longer blinding me.

I exhaled and closed my eyes, listening to the few birds somewhere above the tree.

I could hear someone practising on the field not much farther from me. A basketball kept hitting the ground, again and again, some guys yelling around as they played.

My left eye opened a little so I could look at who was playing. I didn't recognise the voices, but as soon as I saw them I recognised a few of them.

There was Tony, the asshole who was messing with Yuki the other morning, and his friend, Dean, I think. I'm pretty sure I saw Micah sitting on the bleachers, chugging down a bottle of water.

There were a few more guys I didn't know, and they were all dressed in basketball shorts and sweaty t-shirts. One of them was wearing an orange headband to keep his long hair out of his eyes. He reminded me of Kyle, Reed's friend, who always wore his hair in a bun when playing.