First day on the job.

I walk to the bloodhouse right after breakfast. Apparently I take care of the animals until Frypan decided to make one for us to eat.
"Hey Greenie." Winston, the keeper of the bloodhouse, said when I walked up. "You decided to work here for the day?" I nodded. "Well good choice. We need all the help we can get. You can start by feeding the pigs."
I walked over to the small barn, where I saw pink little bodies squirming around. Those must be the pigs. They were noisy and squealed a lot. But on a shelf right above them, there was a bag labeled 'Pig Slop'. Was that the pig food? Even if it was, I was too short to reach it. Eventually, a tall boy walked over.
"Can't reach the food for the piggies?" He asked, laughing. He reached up effortlessly and grabbed the bag.
"Thanks," I said once the bag was at my feet. I picked it up and poured it into the long narrow areas that were empty. Hopefully that's where the pigs ate.
I helped everyone else as much as I could until it was time for lunch. We were all drenched in sweat by then, but I liked working with the animals.
I walked back to the homestead where Frypan was serving hot dogs. I took it gratefully and sat at an empty table. I was alone for maybe a minute when someone sat across from me.
"So how was the first day?" He asked. I looked up to see Newt smiling at me. I smiled back and told him. We talked until everyone had started going back to work.
"Well I'll let you get back to work," he said, standing up with me. I wanted him to hug me, and I could tell he wanted to do something, but we ended up staring at each other awkwardly.
The rest of the day passed quickly, and before I knew it it was almost night. We were cleaning up when Newt came running over.
"The... The runners haven't returned yet," he said breathlessly. A couple of the Gladers exchanged nervous glances, and we ran to join everyone else at the doors.