Chapter 5 - Jealousy?

-Kayla, I don't want you to get hurt, and if you come with us, anything could happen to you...-

-Dad, I know you're worried about me, but please let me come with you-

-Okay... but promise me that if things get tough, you'll go home to your mother and your brother- he praises her.

-But dad! –

-You have to promise me or you will not come! -

-I promise- she whispers to convince her father.

......

At dinner...

-I am glad that you are coming with us princess I will personally make sure that you never get hurt- says Legolas the moment they sit at the table side by side.

-Thank you. But I don't see the reason why, I know how to defend myself- she tells him.

- You haven't beaten me yet- he looks at her smiling.

.... They spend the dinner talking and organizing the last details of the departure of the next day...

After dinner everyone goes their own way, some people in their own room, other in the garden, etc...

Aragorn is walking in the garden with his wife when he meets Legolas.

He asks the woman to leave them alone and she gladly does so.

-"We have to finish a speech"- begins Aragorn.

-"Well then let's finish it"-

-"My daughter will come with us and you already know this... but I'd like to ask you a favor"-

-"Tell me"-

-"Please help me keep her safe"-

-"I would have done it even if you hadn't asked me, man"-

-"Thank you, that's why you're my best friend"-

.......................

The next day, the whole company sets off.

They spend all morning riding without finding any danger they stop to eat on the banks of a stream of water.

-Here's your lunch princess- a soldier joins her.

-Thank you so much... I'm sorry but I don't know your name...- says Kayla as she grabs elfic bread.

-I am Elaije- says the young man sitting next to the girl.

-And what task would you normally have? –

-I am part of the Royal Guard.... you know of Prince Legolas-

-Well thanks for the lunch...- They start to eat but after a while Legolas interrupts them.

-So how's going so far, princess? - She asks to sit next to Kayla.

-Very well thank you... -

-Elaije what are you doing here with the princess? – he asks in a cold tone.

-I brought her food and stayed to keep her company-

-Well now you don't need it anymore- after the prince's harsh words, Elaije leaves them.

-You've been pretty bad, haven't you? - asks Kayla.

-To me it didn't seem right and anyway it doesn't matter-

-Does it not matter? Well, then I don't care if you stay here alone because I go with the others... at least they don't treat people badly- says Kayla getting up and going to sit with her father and other warriors.

Legolas remains surprised by the spirit of the girl...

They resume their journey after finishing their lunch.

Throughout the afternoon Legolas tries to talk and converse with Kayla, who unfortunately does not speak to him.

-Kayla... it's all right? - Aragorn asks her to appear alongside her on horseback.

-Of course, why? –

-You and Legolas seemed to get along and now you're so... cold-

-He's just a braggart... who treated Elaije badly, but what does he think? Does he think he could treat all people who aren't really badly? I really don't know how you can be friends with a guy like him? -

-Legolas is a faithful and trustworthy friend... he doesn't treat anyone badly sometimes he lets himself be taken by the moment but he does it with all the best intentions believe me-

-Well I was disappointed...- whisper Kayla while she precedes his father on horseback.

As soon as darkness descends over the mountains, our travelers stop for the night.

After eating, they decide to go to sleep, but they decided on someone who will watch.

During the night Kayla cannot sleep and she gets up and goes to keep company to her mare.

- You couldn't sleep? - The princess gasps to hear that voice.

-I couldn't sleep anymore.. -

-You should go back to lie down and at least try.... the journey is long and already tomorrow we will enter a dangerous area, you have to be vigilant and rested-

The girl does not answer and continues to caress the mane of the horse.

-Kayla I'm sorry about today I didn't want to be rude.. -

-Did you apologize to Elaije? -

-No... I didn't... I thought it was enough to treat him better-

-Well if that's what you think- Kayla says tiredly.

The two suddenly turned when they heard a loud noise from the forest.

-What was it? - asks the girl doing to run her hand to the 'hilt of the sword.

-Troll! - he says when he sees the trolls advancing towards them.

Kayla draws her sword and Legolas stretches an arrow on the bow.

-Kayla stands behind me- he yells at her once the first arrow has been fired.

-No way! I'm not a burden to anyone! - says the girl as she steps forward and begins to fight.

The trolls outnumber them even when the rest of the company joins them and helps them.

-Kayla careful behind you! - Legolas screams.

She turns around and a troll is ready to hurt her when he is stabbed by a sword and falls to the ground.

-Don't worry Highness.. - says smiling Elaije and then immediately leave to kill something else.

After great efforts, they manage to beat the trolls but it is already morning, and must get back on the horses.

-I didn't think they pushed so far...- says Aragorn as he rides beside his daughter.

-Even I... excuse me a moment I have to do something.. - says Kayla advancing and flanks Elaije.

-Thank you so much for earlier.. -

-I'm glad your highness is well.. -

-Stop calling me in this way! I'm still a girl... Hey, how old are you? -

-Only 500 years old...-

-You must still see a lot of battles but you still fought well before- Legolas interferes in their speech.

-Are you always everywhere? - asks Kayla.