Chapter 11 - Party air?

-Are you okay? - The elf sits in front of her.

-Yes nothing serious, you? – she asks trying to take off her thought from the beautiful elf with very clear eyes.

-I have a broken arm- he smiles and raises the bandaged arm.

Kayla nods. - I'm sorry-

-Don't worry I'm fine, the important thing is that the city was not taken right? – he asks and on his face remains that perennial smile which now seems really annoying to her.

-Right- she gets up -Sorry but now I'm going to see if anyone needs my help-

-Sure, now I'm making myself useful too- he gets up fast.

Kayla smiles at him and leaves the palace. She begins to get tired of the constant and assiduous attentions of that 'elf, she does not care about me.
She walks for a while ' and arrives in a small circular square, with a fountain in the center that now it is almost completely covered with moss it is out of tune with the light and shiny pavement that seems almost new; now, however, on the ground, the light stone is stained with multiple dark red bloodstains. She sees her father and other warriors talking. She approaches them with curiosity.

-Hey, Kayla, here you are- Aragorn smiles.

-Dad, do you need help? -

-No don't worry... we managed to defend this city very well, tomorrow morning at sunrise we leave, our work is not finished-

-Are we leaving yet? All right... where are we going? -

-Home-

-Is it in danger? - immediately she cares for her brother, her mother, and her people.

-Not at the moment, I'll explain everything to you I promise. Now go eat and rest. We have to face a fairly long journey-

Kayla greets him quickly and returns to the castle.

During the day, the wounded are treated, the dead are buried and the streets are cleared of rubble. In the evening there is a feast; it celebrates the victory and the people still alive.

Kayla dances around the big bonfire with many other people, everyone drinks, laugh, sing, and dance. Legolas chats with Aragorn, drinks, and watches Kayla move fast and sinuous among the people.

-Legolas are you listening to me? - Aragorn calls him waving a hand in front of his friend's face.

-yes.. sorry I was a moment... distracted- the elf comes back to look at the king.

-I was asking if you come with us to the palace or if you go back to your people-

-I will come with you, of course, you know I don't leave a job in the middle- he smiles.

-Well, enjoy the evening, my friend- Aragorn gets up and gets lost in the crowd.

Meanwhile, Kayla gets tired of dancing non-stop for a long time, she moves away from the group that moves to the rhythm of voices that scream ancient songs and looks for a quieter place to take a breath and rest for a moment. When she reaches a large lawn she takes off her shoes and sits on the fresh and short grass. As a child she loved sneaking out of the palace with her brother, reaching a nearby park, and lying down. They stayed to look at the sky, talk about games and jokes until she would fall asleep exhausted and her brother brought her back to the palace. Over time, however, these episodes began to happen less and less until they never happened again. They grew and that increased responsibilities and with them increased the distance between brother and sister.

Just now, sitting on that fresh grass, she was thinking about it and wondering how Eldarion was doing. She hadn't seen him in a long time and so much had changed... she'd gone into battle.. she'd killed...

Legolas sees her getting away so he abandons his glass with the drink on a table and follows her. When he sees her sitting he approaches. He sits next to her and looks at the dark sky full of stars.

-Do you need anything? - she asks him.

-No.. why would I need anything? - Legolas turns to her and looks at her.

She keeps her eyes lost in front of her.

-Why are you here then? – she asks him skeptically.

-I just wanted to hang out with you... we haven't had a moment yet to talk just the two of us-

-And what should we talk about? - She turns to him and looks at him.

-For example, we could talk about this morning... the battle, your first battle.. -

-You don't need to remind me of that - she says hurriedly, straightforward, and cold.

-Okay, sorry... how did it go anyway? - she stops him quickly to close quickly uncomfortable the speech.

-I killed quite a few enemies- outspoken and cold, no emotion passes by her voice.

He shakes his head. - You must not go proud... it was your first battle-

-In fact, I'm not proud of it and yes it was my first battle... it's not what I thought...-

-What did you think it was like? -

-I thought it was something noble, to be proud... at home to the boys who train to become warriors we say it's noble, that you must be proud to serve your city, I don't have to take pity on my enemies... but this morning when I was in that... crowd... I... I don't know... everything is wrong I thought only this...-

-How are you? -

-Now good... the party, the music, the laughter and the people make me feel good...- smiles.

-For the other..-Legolas tries to talk but Kayla stops him right away.

-Let's go back to the party- she gets up quickly and not wanting to hear what the elf has to say, and goes back to people and gets drinks.

He's going back to the party, too.

Music and dance go on until late at night when even the last people crumble from sleep and fatigue.