Chapter 20 -All done?

Kayla resumed breathing the moment she closed the room door behind her and leaned against it.

What was she supposed to do? Probably go home... but leave Legolas there... She would never succeed. But stay there... how would she do it? The king didn't want to see her with Legolas, the court counselors either... only Legolas wanted her and the people outside the castle.

In the moment of despair, he had started to prepare his bags to leave.

After a while, he hears a knock on the bedroom door.

-Not now Legolas- responds by waiting for the elf but does not listen and enters.

-Kayla... what are you doing? - she asks as she watches her fold her clothes.

-What do you think I'm doing? I pack up my things and go back to my house- she says trying not to burst into tears.

-Stop, let's talk-

-There's nothing to talk about-sighs and then stop to look at it. -The palace never accepted me, they were never rude because after all, I am a Princess... but apart from that, I have never been in the right place according to them-

-I don't care what they think, you're in the right place- the elf stops.

-And now even your father... I... I don't know what I expected- continues the girl. -They're probably right, maybe I've always known but I never wanted to think about it- she says as she sits on the bed.

-Kayla what are you saying? -

-I have always feared for this difference of ours... I do not belong to this kingdom, I do not belong entirely to your species and it will never happen. I don't know if it's because I'm not an elf, or because I'm not part of the kingdom, or because I'm too young or because I'm a woman... or maybe it's altogether... I don't know but anyway they'll never accept me, I've never even been given a chance to show them who I am and I don't want to be in a place where I'm not accepted-

-My father just wanted to see how you'd react and what you'd say... -He's very brusque at times, he was testing you and wanted to see who you were-

-Seen... other proof that I'm not fit for this place-

-Do you want to go back to your house? So you leave everything, let me- Legolas started to get angry. -Don't you even try? -

-I tried! But it doesn't work! It doesn't work here! - now she wasn't trying to hold back the tears and she had burst into tears. -Why don't you want to understand?! Why am I the only one who feels bad here?! -

-Don't blame me for not crying! I'm not a half-assed girl, I work differently than you! -

-I understand... I understand very well- says the girl. -Get out of this room-

-Kayla, you can wait to leave, stay a bit calmer, and then we'll talk about it-

-Get out of this room! -

After a few hours, Kayla was ready to leave for home, was at the gates near the forest, and was finishing securing the bags to the horse when the king followed by Legolas approached.

-So he decided to share his height? - asks the king and the girl nods making a brief bow. -Well, then I wish you a short and unforeseen return trip- he says and then he walks away slightly to leave room for his son.

-Let the guards accompany you- asks for one last time the elf.

-No, it's not that long after all and I need to be alone- he says without looking into his eyes.

-I'm sorry for everything that made you feel bad- says sincerely the girl does not answer, says goodbye again to the king then gets on the horse and leaves.

-Don't worry Legolas, two guards will follow her at a distance to make sure she arrives safely- the father tells him when he sees him worried.

-Non è quello che mi preoccupa..- sussurra per poi rientrare a palazzo.

-Ti passerà velocemente vedrai, dopo tutto è solo una ragazzina- a quelle parole la rabbia di Legolas si ripresenta.

A few days later, Kayla returns to her hometown and palace and reunites her family.

-Honey, why did you come back so early? And where is Legolas? - asks his father after holding her.

-Thranduil woke up, he's fine... Legolas stayed there.. - says the girl and Aragorn immediately realize that there were bigger problems behind what he had just told him.

-Don't worry, honey, everything will be fine...- he says to reassure her. -Now go see your mother, she missed you so much- try to cheer her up.