Chapter 9 - You are something important

In the late afternoon the party arrives in the village and until late in the evening everyone is busy to secure the elderly, women and children and to prepare the men for the battle of the next day.

The whole group is hosted in the palace after all Aragorn was the king, however at the table for dinner, no one eats much or gossip because all very tired, in fact, they all go to their rooms very quickly.

The night is long and no one is doing particularly well.

Kayla turns around in the bed, when she realizes that she will not be able to sleep for a long time she gets up and leaves the room.
Slowly she descends into the kitchens, the cold floor under her feet, the fresh air that enters from some crack in the walls caresses the light skin of the girl... all this gives a sense of temporary tranquility in her body and mind...

But she's not the only one who gets up. Legolas, who has the room next to the girl, heard her come out, and taken by curiosity after a while he also comes out of his room.

Kayla makes herself a dessert to eat and someone unexpectedly joins her.

-Hey, what are you doing? - A male voice makes her jump out of fear.

-Elaije! You made me... you scared me! - the girl puts a hand on her chest, sighing heavily.

-Sorry! - the young elf chuckles. - What have you prepared? –

-A cake... is almost ready, you instead why are you awake? You should rest-

-You too... we elves have different rhythms...-

-Yes, I know-

The two joke and chat while they are waiting for dessert to be ready.

Someone approaches silently but seeing that the girl is not alone he remains a bit 'upset.

He is enchanted by the movements and the laughter of the girl, even if it bothers him that that beautiful crystalline and genuine laughter is not addressed to him. The slim profile of the girl moved easily in the kitchen spaces, the light, and soft dress makes her look like a celestial figure.

Tired of the attention the young elf gives to the princess he stops them.

-What are you still doing up? - He asks over the threshold.

-Legolas...- Kayla turns to the door amazed for the second time.

-Your Highness- Elaije greets him by lowering his head.

-Elaije you were very kind to be with the princess now you can go- His voice is cold to the boy, Elaije leaves them alone.

-Why did you send him away? We were talking- the girl turns to the dessert that is now ready; she adds some fresh strawberry then takes two plates and prepares two portions.

-Well now you can talk to me-

The girl hands a saucer and a teaspoon to the elf. They start eating in silence.

-Sometimes you're sweet... Sometimes you're.. more like...-

-More like? -

-Almost bully? So look at how you treat that poor boy-

-I have my reasons-

-And what would they be? -

-You stay out of that... How did you do this cake? It's amazing-

-Secret, why are you treating Elaije like that? -

-Not... tonight... are you ready for tomorrow? -

-Are you ever ready for a battle? - The girl sits on the counter while eating.

Legolas does not answer and gets lost in his thoughts.

-I've already told you a little bit about me... now it's your turn-

-What? - He wakes up from his thoughts.

-Tell me something about yourself-

-I... don't... not today...-

-Ugh... so I have to talk all the time? Okay, you know when I was a kid, I used to sneak into the kitchen? I got taught how to cook by the castle cooks- she starts talking like a river in flood but the boy stops her.

-So you made this cake? - he asks.

-Sure... is something wrong? Too tasty? Too little? -

-No, it's perfect-

-Thank you-

The silence falls on the room, the minds of the two protagonists are full of thoughts... who knows if they are thinking about each other or maybe someone else... or something else...

-Sorry... for before-

She turns to look at him weirdly.

-What? Before?... Relax... forget it, if you won't tell me anything about yourself because you don't trust me, that's fine... I mean not that I don't mind, I'm sorry that...-

He laughs and still stops her river of words.

-Since when do you talk like that? -

-In what way? -

-nothing... anyway... it's not that I don't trust you, I trust you but I don't want to talk about it-

-You don't want to talk about you? Or about why do you treat that boy like that? -

-Still with the story of Elaije!? Do you really want to know why I treat him that way?! - he raised his voice a little, the girl went back to touch the table behind her, frightened at the volume of his voice... he had never raised it, at least not with her.

-Well I'll talk now! Ready? Because it bothers me, it bothers me that he's so close to you, it bothers me that you're having so much fun with him, it bothers me that he cares about you and it bothers me that he likes you- he takes a little break. - And all this bothers me because even though I've only known you for so little... I feel something for you, I have had my problems in the past and these make this situation even more difficult- he is approaching a few steps, now the voice is back to a normal level, indeed, maybe a little 'low.

-This is not the time to talk about my past... – He fixes a strand of rebellious hair behind the pointed ear. - Why are you so different? - he asks her, pauses, then starts talking again. - Why are you so beautiful? Why do I like you so much? We elves feel much deeper feelings and therefore an I like is something big and important- The last sentences he says in a whisper, so much he is so close to her that he is sure that she heard it.

Do you like this story?