Chapter 13 - An Excellent Afternoon

The rays of a warm sun creep annoyingly between the eyelashes of the beautiful girl lying under the green sheet of a double bed.

Kayla turns on the other side to go back to sleep but as soon as she feels the sleep once again a lady of the court knocks hastily at the door.

-Princess! –

Kayla laboriously chews a "come in" and the door opens to let a young woman runs to the windows, completely opens the curtains, and then goes to shake the girl.

-Get up your highness! It's late and your father is waiting for you in the throne room! - the lady helps in a hurry to wash and dress the girl.

After preparing, she runs to the throne room.

-Kayla finally, we were just waiting for you- she meets her brother.

-Now I'm here. What's so important? - she asks looking at the few others in the room.

-Your father is leaving- says her mother while the king gives the last orders to the counselors. Then he greets his friends including Legolas and goes to his family.

-Let me come with you- the girl prays while the father hugs her.

-No... you've done enough, and from now on it's too dangerous, I can't take you with me, baby.. - he loosens the embrace and kisses her on the forehead. - I'll go with some riders, I'll be fine and you'll have me around very soon- he smiles then comes to say goodbye to his son and wife.

After the final preparations, the soldiers leave and Kayla sees the handful leave the city from the main balcony of the palace.

-Princess...- the male voice makes the girl wince. Kayla turns to the blond elf.

-Legolas, why didn't you go with my father? - she asks while the elf approaches her.

-I wanted to go but he asked me to stay here to help you- he says and Kayla nods. - There's nothing to worry about, I'm sure he'll be back soon-

-I would have been calm knowing that you were by his side...- the girl looks down at her hands and smiles bitterly. - But... I'm not really sad to have you here...-

-If he had asked me, I would have gone with him but I'm glad he asked me to stay here- the elf smiles.

-Do you want to go for a ride? - asks Kayla looking up at him and examining his expression.

-With pleasure princess-

At the stables, the elf saddled his horse and when he saw that the girl had not finished yet and he helped her with her horse, then they went out ready for a ride.

After half an hour they stop and go down from the horses to sit against the first trees of the forest.

While Legolas tied the horses to a trunk, making sure he would not be allowed to run away, Kayla would end up telling him about some days of riding with her father.

The blond sits next to her and listens to her enchanted by the lightness and joy with which the words come out of the mouth of the half-elf.

-What's the matter? Is something wrong? - she asks shortly after seeing that he was not talking and that he was watching her.

-Nothing... just... I love hearing you talk so much...- smiles when Kayla blushes.

-Thanks? - Chuckles uncomfortable Kayla while taking between her fingers a lock of hair.

-I don't think your father would agree with... this...- sighs him looking in front of him.

-I know... but I don't care- the girl leaves her hair and turns to look at him.

-I'll get you in trouble with your family- Legolas turns to look back at her.

-I know- she whispers and then gently rests her lips on hers.

He is slightly caught by surprise closes his eyes and lets himself be carried away by those soft lips. He puts her hands on the sides of her face, while she moves the elf's blond hair and caresses the tip of his ears.

After too little time he retreated and opened his eyes to look at her. She stays with her eyes closed and takes a deep breath trying to calm the beat of her heart.

-I like to get in trouble...-a smile appears on the lips of both that reunite after a few seconds.

Neither of them knows how, but they find themselves lying on the lawn. Legolas detaches once again and caresses her hips, she leans her cheek on his chest and smiles keeping her eyes closed.

-What does your father say about you staying away from your duties as an elf prince for so long? - She asks after a few minutes of silence.

-He's been scolding me, he's been doing it his whole life... it's okay to be here, and I'd rather be here with you than in the palace with my father- he whispers.

-You're spoiling me with all these sweet phrases today- she gets a laugh as she finishes the sentence, then gets up and sits down.

-All right, princess, no more sweet words then- he still looks at her lying on the grass and lays a hand on her leg, and simply strokes her by moving his thumb.

-I'm happy you know? Hey! To celebrate this new us... do you want to do an archery competition? -as soon as this sentence comes out of the girl's mouth the elf bursts to laugh. – What's funny? -

-Nothing, come on- He gets up and helps her to get up and then get back on the horse.

Eldarion, meanwhile, is absorbed in the role that his father left empty.

-Where did my sister go? -he asks as she leaves the room where the meeting he attended just ended.

-We can't find her, your highness-

-Look for her again! Why did the guards assigned to her lose the princess?! - at that moment a running servant arrives.

-Your Highness, we found the princess! In the stables with Prince Legolas-

Eldarion reaches the stables just in time to see Legolas take the princess by the hips to help her get off the horse followed by a joke about how she manages to get off alone. But what makes him stop on the spot is what happens after the elf lowers slightly to reach the girl's lips and leave her a light kiss.

vote and comment thanks!