Chapter 21 - Seeing it again

A month had passed since Kayla had returned to her family. A month that she did not see, did not talk, and did not meet with Legolas.

No text messages were looking for her. She kept hoping for his move but every day brought her a feeling of sorrow and over time became increasingly angry, bitter, and sad.

-Kayla honey, can I talk to you for a few minutes? - her father asked her as she entered her rooms.

-Yes, tell me-

-Tomorrow several important people will join us, we will hold a council of war... and there will also be Legolas- he says sitting on the bed next to her.

-Okay-

-That's all? I know it's a difficult time...-

-No dad is not difficult, indeed it is very simple... You have nothing to worry about, I will be professional- says the girl. -I'm very sorry for starting something with your best friend- he says after a moment of silence.

-It's not something you can control- the father responds serenely. -I know that your brother is not simplifying your life but don't listen to him okay? The important thing for me is that you two be happy

-Thank you- he says and then hugs him.

-Will you ever tell me what happened to get you home? - He asks her after a while.

-When I met his father... well the king was very direct and made me come up with doubts... struck me in the places where I was most insecure... and then I fought with Legolas.. -

-Honey, if I had just thrown in the towel with your mother so easily, you and your brother would never have been born- she said to her with a chuckle.

-I know... but I didn't feel well and accepted... I wasn't well in that place-

-I'm sorry, my daughter, now I have to go and prepare the last things tomorrow will all arrive

Kayla was very nervous about what would happen the next day. She was afraid to see Legolas who was fine even without her. During that month, however, she was reduced to miserable, he left his room only to go to help in the orphanage of the city. Only there she felt a little better, the children made her not think about everything that had happened to her and even the people who worked there had been very nice and helpful to the girl.

The next day it arrived faster than expected, the hours had flown and Kayla waited to see from her window the ministers of the various peoples arrive. Every time someone crossed the gates of the palace she was immediately to scrutinize him to find out who he was.

And finally came the blond elf that made her head spin, I cross the threshold of the big garden riding on his white horse with a dozen elves that followed him. On the head of the elf was leaning a fine silver crown, his light clothes slender even more his figure. Kayla withdrew from the window and didn't want to be seen spying on him, caught her breath, and prepared for lunch with all the guests.

As she went down the stairs of the palace to the dining room accompanied by a maid, she hoped that Legolas would not sit next to her father, in which case he would be too close to her and she would not be able to get to the bottom of the lunch.

She arrived that the room was full of people, the girl reached her mother who was talking to her father.

-Kayla, my girl, how you got big and beautiful- her grandfather told her.

-Thank you very much- he said blushing. -You have not often come to visit us in recent years. -

-Unfortunately, I had a lot of business to settle, but I'm happy to be here- Kayla did not have time to answer that Aragorn invited everyone to sit down.

The girl's father was sitting at the head of the table, next to his mother and brother. Kayla was sitting next to her mother and next to her brother was Legolas. So when they looked up from their dishes, they were in front of each other.

The only thing the girl was able to do was swallow and look down again. Throughout the meal, she remained silent if not questioned and her eyes never left the plate or her interlocutor. While Legolas watched her almost all the time and did not take part in the conversations much.

Before dessert arrived, a waiter entered and went directly to the princess to tell her that her presence at the orphanage was urgently required.

-Father excuse me but my presence is required- says the girl got up.

-But Kayla didn't finish eating- says her brother.

-I ate enough excuses from all of them- said the girl and then left the room and quickly headed to her rooms to wear something soberer to go into the city.

Spent the rest of the afternoon in the orphanage to help, several children had fallen ill and the people who worked there needed help.

-Thank you for helping us His Highness- said in the evening Noah a boy who had a shop on the same street and went to help when needed or when he did not have too much work.

-I've already told you a million times to just call me Kayla and tell me about the girl while she takes off her weeds and folds it.

-I always get the impression that the guards who follow you constantly refer everything to your father... I don't want to be disrespectful- he jokes with a chuckle.

-Oh, they are harmless- he says looking at the two guards who were following her everywhere and that at that moment they were also helping the children.

-Today you seemed more absent than usual, all right? - he asks with a worried look.

-Yes I'm fine, I had a stressful morning-

-More than this afternoon with all these screaming children- jokes trying to make her smile.

-Yes very...- says the girl. -I'm sorry but I'm very tired, I think I'll go back to the palace-

-You should go to rest, you look a little pale...- says the boy nods. -Kayla, tomorrow if you'd like you could... come by my shop... I'd like to show you something I'm working on...- says the boy finding courage.

-Several state officials arrived today, I do not know how long I will have tomorrow since this afternoon I left everything to come here- try to decline the girl nicely, He didn't want to leave his room and be around people more than he should, but seeing the boy's smile slowly disappear changed his mind. -Okay, I'll just pop in for a minute tomorrow-

-Beautiful-