Chapter 10 - The battle

She hardly seems to breathe... he's so close... finally.

-But... no matter how I feel about you... you're my best friend's daughter and he'd kill me if she knew about us- Legolas walks away from the girl.

Kayla doesn't know what to say.

Silence and stillness descend for a few minutes. Both closed in their thoughts, both without words, and disappointed.

The air gets heavy, you hear only the sound produced by their breaths and sometimes a few steps... maybe some guard.

Kayla can't take it anymore and she tries to talk -I... I...-

-You... nothing... it's not your fault...- he takes a few more steps away from her -Kayla... go back to your room... forget my words, I didn't want to put you in trouble or embarrassment- he goes out without even looking at her.

The half-elf goes back to her room, she lies on the bed but the sleep doesn't arrive, she remains to stare at the ceiling for an indefinite time then falls asleep with her heart full of sadness and bitterness.

The next day everyone is early risers, everywhere silence reigns because everyone is aware that the orcs are coming.

Women, children, and the elderly go in a shelter built years before just for these occasions... they exchange worried looks and few comfortable words.

Among the soldiers there is agitation, they prepare, take up arms, and arrange themselves in their places in the army.

At the palace they are preparing and discussing the last details, just at that moment, Kayla enters the hall. The girl's eyes meet almost immediately the elf. She looks away and goes alongside her father trying to focus on the battle and not on the previous night.

After a short time the orcs arrive at the gates of the city, both armies are ready, the air becomes heavy and the first arrows are fired, the first orcs fall but there are many more missing.

Armies clash and so many lives are stolen; lives that were not ready to leave, that still had so many emotions to feel and so many challenges yet to be won.

In the heat of the battle, time passes slowly and relentlessly, at any moment it could come to the blow that takes you and rips you away. There is no time to think and this is what Kayla likes: speed, fury, adrenaline, the life of others in her hands. Nothing is controlled, everything is confused.

After hours of battle, after half the city has been destroyed, after many young human lives have been destroyed, finally the battle ends and the enemy lies on the ground breathless.

Kayla walks slowly through the streets full of corpses, looks around, the bloody sword still in her hand, the lost look, and the slow movements almost as if her movements were limited in some strange way.

Her father brings her back to the real world.

-Kayla! Are you hurt? - He runs towards her and takes her face in his hands looking into her eyes.

-What.. no... I don't think... I... I'm fine- in her head still reigns the confusion of the battle.

His father nods his head.

-I just... I just have a few cuts.. nothing serious- she slowly recovers.

-Okay, we got the women out of the shelter. There are some at the castle that cares about treating the wounded... go to them, there is also Legolas-

-Legolas? Is he hurt? -

-Nothing serious, see you later- Aragorn leaves her to go and do his duty as a king.

Kayla walks quickly to the palace, as soon as she arrives she looks for Legolas. She only relaxes when he sees a woman sewing a cut on his forearm.

-Ehy...- she slowly approaches - you all right? -

Legolas nods. - Just a small cut... I was a little ' distracted... Are you okay? -

-I.. yes I only have a few cuts nothing to worry about...-

-Your father? - Legolas asks her.

-He's fine I saw him a while ago he's still around...-

-Excuse me, my lady, I'll take care of your injuries- a woman makes her sit on a chair and begins to disinfect the wounds.

Kayla remains to observe Legolas that even after a battle: with messy hair, bloody and battered clothes he was beautiful.

-Hello my princess- a male voice makes her look away.

-Ciao Elaija-