CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE: DEPARTURE, September 25, 1461

FIVE MONTHS LATER

CATHERINE SPEND HER DAY, IN HER FAVORITE PLACE, THE GARDEN. THOMAS ACCOMPANIED HER THAT MORNING. "Catherine you astound me each morning," Thomas commented. Catherine rolls her eyes as she parades in her new dress. "Thomas, this dress could be a blessing from France. Your mother gifted it to me this morning." Catherine couldn't help to admire the dress. He started to grin at the thought of observing her in the dress but she couldn't help to see her father grinning at her, calling her favorite princess. She nearly fell, causing Thomas to run to her.

"What's wrong? Catherine?" Catherine started to tense, she was shaking. An anxious breakdown started to drop upon herself. "I have no one, Thomas." She conceded in a delicate tone, "Pardon me for this,'' she told him regaining herself, she stood straight fixing her posture.

''No, excuse me," Thomas contended, getting Catherine's right hand and holding it in his hand, ''I shouldn't have brought you here in this heat.'' Instead, she smiled and nodded her head in understanding. "I must return to my brothers, but may I come to your chambers later?" Thomas asked, earning a look of disbelief from her.

"I don't mean it like that. I swear it. I just wish to talk to you alone."

"Yes, of course. Thomas, it seems odd but yes." She replied. "Until then, my lady." He whispered to her softly, just before walking away. She watched him walk off, smiling softly. She knew she was being stupid, but she couldn't help herself. No matter how many times she denied it, she did care for Thomas, more than Edward

○ ○ ○

That night, Catherine was sitting at her work area, perusing over what she had gotten within the past months. It was a letter from her mother. She refuses to open it, she couldn't. The pageboy Jimmy had furtively given this to her and told her to open it when she is alone, it's been months, she didn't set out to see it or open it. Thomas entered, closing the doors behind him. She turned to spot a little dark box on his hands, he started strolling, towards her bending down on his knee. He held a little gem box in his hand. He looked over at her with a grin, holding up for her to inquire what it was. "This for you." He told her sarcastically. She smiled. Thomas bowed down as he took a ring out, it was a rare diamond, it was carved with two initials, T &C. She promptly started to grin. He put the ring on her little finger, he started smiling.

"I cannot accept this gift," She argued, slowly looking up at Thomas as she shook her head."It's a gift to you because, I'm leaving," He corrected himself, lightly grabbing her by the shoulder before turning her around.