CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE: KING, 1462

IT'S BEEN A YEAR. She was now sixteen years old, still young but old enough. She looked so much taller for her age, Thomas would say that. Everything was different. Elizabeth had left and gotten herself married. She attended the wedding and couldn't help noticing herself and Edward in the position. Speaking of, Edward. They have been writing letters. Poems. It's so romantic to see the other side of Edward, she hasn't seen. She came to grasp the feeling of love fairly quickly.

Thomas has been nothing but kind and helpful. Always providing her with items she needs, treating her like a proper lady. She is thankful for that but she knew deep inside her heart, she didn't love him. Her heart belongs to Edward. She looked at Thomas as they made their way to the garden. He is only a young man around her age, happy about their marriage. Maybe she'll come to love him, yet. She doesn't know if she will open her heart for him. He has been nothing but kind to her and she's been nothing but unfaithful to him, at least in her eyes.

"I find it disappointing we have to remain in court till Edward could grant us that castle up North," she tenses up. She didn't want to go that far. "No matter, Thomas. All I have is you and you have me. We're together, that is what should matter." They both walked, as he held onto the basket full of fruits and a bottle of wine. "Really?" He asked curiously.

"Yes?" She replied, smiling. They finally found a spot under an old oak tree. This place did look familiar. He set up the blanket onto the floor, smiling. "My lady," he said softly. Catherine smirked, sitting down.

He sat beside her, as he set up the fruits and took out a cup to serve wine. "I hope you like this? Have you ever tried wine before?" He asked. Catherine couldn't think of it, she never did. "Not really?" She spoke. He smiled at her pouring onto the cup. Then he handed her the cup, as he took a sip of his. She softly took a sip, smiling in return.

"I, thank you. Catherine of Lancaster. I'm so happy to marry you. It will be privileged to call you my wife," he smiled in returned taking another sip. She quietly took a sip, forcing a smile. This wasn't right. She was hurting him by being with his brother. "Of course, I, thank you for being my loving husband." She smiled back leaning to kiss him on the lips. She leaned back, Thomas urged for more. She playfully smiled. "We have some fruits here. Let's take a bite?" She smirked, causing Thomas to smile in return taking the attention away.

Edward stood on a chair, wearing his crown. He quietly looked at the dozens of guests who attended his banquet. He couldn't find two people. "Warwick?" He questioned.

"Yes, Edward?"

"Where's Catherine? And Thomas?"

Warwick smiled. "I'll be delighted to inform you, Thomas thought it was a good idea to take Catherine out to the garden. He said it was a way for them to bond some more. He said he truly wants to treat her as his queen." Edward turned away angrily looking at his guest. Was Catherine playing a game with him? Is he nothing more than a toy for her? Is she the one using him and Thomas? He stood on the chair silent. He is King, if he wanted to, he could bring them back to the banquet. It's his orders and he was following his heart.

The banquet was coming to an end. He still hasn't seen Catherine or Thomas. His servants were cleaning the tables and Lord Warwick had gone. He stood there, silent. His mother was nowhere in sight, so we're his brothers who were gone probably entertaining the Neville sisters or more like George whoring around.

"Your majesty?" He quickly turned his head up seeing Catherine. Thomas was holding her around her waist. "What's wrong with her?" He asked, standing up. Thomas laughs. "Catherine has been having too much wine, I shall take her to bed." He confessed. Edward widened his eyes, she was only sixteen. "No!" He yelled.

Thomas turned around shocked. "Edward?" He asked. Catherine began to wobble turning to see at Edward, curious. "The king is mad," she admitted laughing. "I'm king, Thomas. She is still my ward. Leave her here, I'll grant her ladies to bring her to her bed." Thomas brought Catherine to one of the open seats beside the king, placing there. He leaned into Catherine's ear, whispering something causing her to giggle. He bows to Edward then left, leaving Edward and her alone, with his knights in the back.

"I stayed here all day, hoping you'll come." He admitted only for Catherine to laugh at his outburst. "Stubborn king!" She laughed as he rolled his eyes. This was drunken Catherine, she was still too young to have tried this. "Your ladies should be here." He told her. He quickly ordered two out of his five knights to find her ladies.

"Stay here beside me. You'll be safe," he ordered, causing Catherine to look at him, with gleeful eyes. "You promised me." She told him before completely passing out leaving him confused, as ever. "Catherine?" He got off his seat and turned to her, holding her hand. "Quick, help me." He asked his two guards knights. "Bring her to her chambers. I'll have a servant bring her some tea. Hurry!" He demanded as his knights left. He truly didn't think much of it but perhaps Catherine was faking it? Or maybe he was wrong. Catherine is trying to tell him that she chose him. He shakes his head and runs to one of his many servants to see if some tea could be made at this hour.

○ ○ ○

The next morning she found himself sitting beside Thomas. They were holding each other's hands. "I love you, Catherine," Thomas admitted, he threw the book of poems that were written to her by Edward onto the floor. Catherine stood silent biting her lip, not knowing what to say to him. Just like that, he leaned closer to her putting his head on her shoulder.

"I love you, I don't care if you don't love me back. I'll treat you fairly and respect you." He took her hand and placed a kiss on it. He got up and began to make his way outside only to turn around. "When we are married. Stop, seeing Edward. That's all, I ask of you. To do that for me, don't see him anymore. At least have some respect for me?" He told her, sternly turning around only to hear Catherine call his name.

"Thomas!" Catherine paused, "From the moment we met, you had my respect,'' she told him feeling uneasy. He took one last look at her then turning away leaving her alone in her room.

 He took one last look at her then turning away leaving her alone in her room

However, I'm curious. Who ships Catherine and Edward? Or do you ship Thomas and Catherine