Feint

I had spent the rest of the day sat with Wally. We'd both talked and laughed and mucked around with some games and T.V. It was the most relaxed I'd felt in a while. And it was unfortunate when the team came crashing for the evening.
"Grayson's gone missing," Artemis said as soon as she got down on the sofa, "Poof, vanished into thin air. And the richest part, Bruce Wayne was a no show today as well. The media are claiming it's grief over losing his son and that he'll be back in the public eye by tomorrow. But I don't believe them, I think he's in on Grayson's plan. He's the one that's bribed the judges."
"I trust the news," M'gann said, "They have no reason to lie."
"Apart from they've always called Richard Golden when he isn't," Wally chimed in, "They lied through their teeth then."
"They weren't lying," Kaldur explained before I had a chance to defend myself, "They were unaware of his true nature."
"The news always lies," Conner said, "It's how they make their money. Selling the propaganda that's going to pay them the most. Never trust a word that comes out of their mouth unless you put it there. Even then, watch it get twisted into a money-making scheme."
"Can we take a step back on this Grayson case," I said and they all looked to me, "Don't you just think it's a bit too perfect?"
"What do you mean?" Conner asked, "We got the guy and now you want to chip in with your two cents when you're not even on the mission because you're too busy doing your own thing, and say that the guy we've followed the clues on, is not the right guy?"
"I mean, he's been given top scores, if you were paying to get through, you'd want to remain average wouldn't you?" I asked, "And the bombs are so conveniently always going off where he is. For someone who wanted to create an attack no one would suspect, he's being pretty obvious."
"No, it's not just that, I've got a gut feeling about him," Artemis explained, "He's off. Hiding something. Richard Grayson isn't who he says he is. And now, we've proved it. So don't try to put us down the wrong path just because it's not the high class of criminal you're used to."
It was at that moment that another arrival was announced, Batman 02.
"Robin, with me. Now," He growled.
Well, the interrogation with Riddler must not have gone well. I quickly jumped up, hissing at the sudden weight on my leg, but followed, leaving the team alone. We walked down the corridor and past the medical wing until we ended up in an interrogation room. He locked the door behind us.
"Riddler was a dead end," Bruce explained, indicating for me to take a seat which I did, "I arrived at Arkham to talk to him, apparently the guy we'd booked in as Riddler was Clayface. And due to us being unaware of that fact, when we put him in Riddler's cell, he escaped easily. I've spent the day trying to track him, going over the cowl footage from that night. I even questioned our recruit, she was fully convinced it was Riddler that was holding her the entire time. I've got nothing to help you. Whoever is planning this, is doing a damn good job of it. We're always two steps behind."
"You did what you could," I said as he sat down as well, "We just, we're facing a new threat. We had no idea what this was going to be like. They know there's only one way out of this situation. And they know we can't take it. It's too much risk. I'd rather be tried and convicted as a terrorist then put everyone at risk."
"I know," Bruce sighed, "And that's what I'm scared is going to happen. We're being cornered, Dick. No way out. And every minute we let the game run, is a minute harder for us to win it. So I'm going to have to ask you to make some grown-up decisions. Okay?" I nodded, "I'm opening the offer for you to tell the team your identity, the risk is in your hands. That's the first. I also have to ask if you want to take this fall, because I can take the responsibility off of you. Turn myself in and let you get off as a victim. Make it appear I was setting you up-"
"No," I cut him off, "I know that's what you want to do, to keep me safe. But we're beyond that now. We're thinking about keeping everyone else safe. And to do that, we need someone who can still be out there. We need Bruce Wayne back in the social scene. You were in grieving today, you ran off to your little chalet to escape the news. But you're ready to face the music now. The more we can get of what the news is getting, the higher our chance of winning."
"You'll be alone-" Bruce started again.
"No, because I still have Robin. I still have the team, I still have you. I'm not losing much, only my chance to perform," I said, "And it wasn't like I wanted that anyway."
"That's it," Bruce said, "We can get out of this corner. We can start fighting back. He thinks you're going to go into hiding. That you're just going to disappear and give him complete control of your image. You need to go to that competition. You need to do your act and then get straight out of there. Throw him off-kilter. Show him you're not going to just be a silent victim."
"You're sure?"
"I'll keep your slot added in somehow, trust in Bruce Wayne. He has connections," He said, "He wants to play a game, we'll play the game."