Transfer

I was on a rooftop by the police station, dressed in my civilian clothes now, waiting the final five minutes before I had to hand myself in. I'd heard nothing from anyone, that meant they'd not found anything. And with five to go I doubt that they would. But some little part of me was still hoping, still wished that I'd get the call saying they'd solved it. But the minutes ticked by, and eventually, there was a call from Bruce.
"I'm sorry Dick," He sighed, "We've got nothing, and there's no time left. You're going to have to hand yourself in."
"Of course," I replied, my voice harder to hold steady than I had anticipated.
"We'll fix this, I promise," He continued, "I promise."
"Goodbye Bruce," I managed to get out before removing the comms unit.
I left them on the roof as I climbed down the ladder and towards the police station. I managed to walk up to the front desk unnoticed.
"What do you want kid?" The receptionist asked.
"I'm here to turn myself in," I got out and he looked up from his work, "Richard Grayson."
"Hands where I can see them," He shouted and I raised them above my head as the officers finally started turning to see what was happening, "Don't move."
I didn't say anything as I was cuffed and taken to a holding cell as the paparazzi started flooding in and I made the news headlines. Thankfully a clock opposite told me we had done it in time, Wally was safe.

It felt like hours as I sat in that cell, the reporters slowly filtering out and I was left with the other criminals of Gotham. I didn't have a clue what was happening outside, if they had found where he was. If they had managed to get Wally back. I stayed silent as the cuffs were put back on and I was moved to the interrogation room.
"Please state your name and age for the tape," The officer said as I was sat opposite him at the table.
"Richard John Grayson," I said, "Aged 16."
"You handed yourself over to the police, is this correct?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
Because of the threat on my friend that I can't tell you about.
"Because I realised I didn't want to be the bad guy anymore," I said instead, "I don't want to be just another statistic that creates the stigma of Gotham."
"You got a moral compass?" The officer almost laughed, "You've killed, you've planned to kill so many more. You've evaded cops and even bloody superhero's and now you want to tell me you have a conscious? You'd have been better off with the insanity plea."
"What's going to happen to me?" I asked.
"Of course little rich boy doesn't know what's going to happen to him," The officer, who's tag I just glanced to say Dean Paracle, "You're a terrorist level threat kid. If it was up to me, you'd be straight in the chair, but the Bat doesn't believe in that and Gordon sucks up to him like he's a God. We'll just have to send you to Belle Reve. Hope you've not made any enemies."
"Belle Reve?" I couldn't hide the surprise, I'd never survive there.
"You heard me," Paracle replied, "High level threat like you, you're put in for transfer tomorrow. Oh, and we were given a tip you'd be handing yourself in today, and that if you did we were meant to give you this."
He handed me an envelope, the cuffs on the table giving me just enough movement to be able to rip it open and unfold the letter inside.
You should have known you'd end up here Grayson. Do not worry, I am a man of my word and your friend is safe with the others. And don't worry about trying to fit in at Belle Reve, I've organised a friend to meet you there. You're going to love it. Kindest Regards, The Boss.
I crumpled it up in my hand and the officer took that as me having read it and brought me to a different holding cell. I assume I can say we're all here waiting to be transferred to Belle Reve. We were left cuffed in the room as he left us again.
"New meat?" One of the guys I was now locked in with said as they all begun to move towards me, "We've been stuck here weeks, processing and waiting. You get here on the first day. What gives?"
"Lay off him," I turned towards the female voice, "He's only young."
"No one asked you," The first guy said, "We asked him."
"I'm a terrorist threat," I told them, "That's why."
"What'd you do?" The girl asked, she looked to not be much older than me. And a collar around her neck told me that she had a meta-gene.
"We a sharing club?" I asked in return.
"Fine, I'll go first then," She sighed as she brought her elbows to rest on her knees and leant forward, "Some guys decided they wanted to rob my house. First one got shot in the head, next one shot in the heart, third one tried to run. So I did what was right, now nothing hangs between his legs."
"I set off a bomb at Wayne Manor, putting the butler in a coma. Set off another bomb at a hotel, killed a couple people, and then made a bomb scare at the talent competition," I lied, "Oh, and stole a couple bits and pieces from Wayne Tech and Lex Corps."
"How'd you get caught?" The first guy asked.
"Handed myself in," I said, "I didn't have a choice."
"What do you mean you didn't have a choice?" Now the lady was really perked up.
"Honestly?" I scoffed, "Right. Let's start over, total honesty. I was set up. I didn't do anything I was accused of. But I had to hand myself in and admit because the guy who did it has some really strong friends and he had one of mine hostage. He was going to kill him if I didn't."
"So you're a goody two shoes?" The guy asked this time.
"I wouldn't go that far, I've beaten up and hospitalised a fair few people. Literally drove some to the point they now have residence at the Asylum," I said, "But all within the law."
"Dick," No one got a chance to respond as Gordon appeared at the cell doors, "What are you doing?"
"Jim," I breathed out and quickly left the others to head over to him, "Has Bruce been in contact with you?"
"Yes, he's on his way here now," He said, "What did you think you've been doing?"
"I didn't have a choice," I explained, "Look, just, make sure Babs is alright for me? And keep an eye on Bruce. I don't know what he's going to do."
"Of course," He said, "Just, I have a gut feeling you shouldn't be here. Is there anything you can give us? Anything to prove your innocence?"
"Nothing," I sighed, "Don't do anything stupid trying to prove me innocent. What's done is done."
"Be careful Dick."
"I will."
He moved away again as I turned around to see the lady had snuck up right behind me. A feat if I say so myself.
"You're Grayson, ward of Bruce Wayne?" She said, "Should have known. Look, I'm not a bad person. You're innocent. I've got no life here anyway. How's about this, I'll break you out of here, you get Bruce to pay me out and I'll get your name cleared."
"And how do you suppose we do that?" I asked, how was I even considering it.
"Don't worry about it, the less you know the better..."