Sleigh Bells || thirty-two

I sat down on my couch and covered up with my blanket, breathing in the smell of snickerdoodles and my Christmas tree-scented candles. I grabbed my current read and laid back, snuggling into the pillow behind me. I was just opening the book when I heard my door unlock. I groaned, knowing it was Jeff, and sat up. I had given him a set of keys for when I was too lazy to get up and answer the door. Best decision ever.

He walked in while I set my book on the table and stood up, beginning to fold my blanket. "Nice of you to come over without texting me first," I laughed.

"Sorry, I figured you'd enjoy a nice surprise Christmas Eve visit. Since your parents are out of town and you said you would be home alone for the first Christmas Eve in a while, I thought I would bring you some food, and we could watch a movie together," he offered as he held up two bags of food.

"I am enjoying a surprise visit. I just want a heads up next time, okay? That way, I have time to shower really fast. I don't recognize those bags. Where did you get food from?" I asked, setting the neatly folded blanket into a basket next to the couch.

"Oh, I called Gracie to see if I could get food to go. They normally only do that with catering, but she thinks you're sweet and agreed. So, I got you some chicken tenders. I haven't actually eaten anything but breakfast there, so it'll be a new thing for us," he handed me a box, pulling out a salad container for himself.

"Thanks," I smiled, standing on my tiptoes to give him a peck on the cheek. He nodded, sitting down on the couch while I went and grabbed some silverware and ketchup from the kitchen. I came back in, handing him a fork as he sat down. He popped the lid off his food and began eating. I opened my box, smiling that he got me french fries, and remembered to get gravy for the chicken tenders. "You remembered," I laughed.

"Of course I remembered. You didn't let me hear the end of it last time when I forgot," he chuckled. I shot him a glare, quickly focusing on the food in front of me. I took a bite, and pure happiness flowed through me.

"This is the best chicken I've ever had," I mumbled through a mouth full of food. Jeff looked over and laughed at me, nodding with slight disgust, and I quickly covered my mouth, apologizing.

"You're fine, just not used to you talking with food in your mouth. You usually cover your mouth when you eat," he shrugged.

"Yeah, it's an old habit. Guess I'm comfortable around you now," I laughed.

"I'm glad. How are you doing, by the way? How does it feel to be officially done with college?" he asked.

"It's fantastic. I'll never have to take another math class," I explained.

"Well, congratulations," he chuckled.

"Thanks. Did you get your classes figured out? For next semester, I mean," I asked, popping a french fry into my mouth.

"Unfortunately," he sighed.

"Hey, you only have to finish this semester, and then you have one year left, right?" I asked, nudging him slightly.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about going," he laughed. I nodded, and we finished our food. We threw our trash away and began trying to decide on a movie.

"We could always watch A Christmas Story. It is a classic," I suggested, flipping through my small DVD collection.

"What about How the Grinch Stole Christmas? The good one, with Jim Carrey," he asked.

"I'm fine with that one," I shrugged. I found the movie and slipped the disc into the Xbox, grabbing my controller and sitting back down next to Jeff. I pressed play and set the controller down, grabbing the blanket from earlier and covering both of us after I snuggled into Jeff's side.