SOS || thirty-five

"Hey Chang, I have some paperwork I need Craig to sign off on," I leaned my head into Chang's office, my eyes widening as I saw him sitting on a throne.

"I'll have him sign it. Put it on the table," he gestured towards a table off to the side.

"Uh, when did we get the budget for a throne? And when did it get put in?" I asked, eyeing the oversized chair he was on.

"It's a prescription throne. I have back mumps, don't look it up. It's rare. And it's nothing for you to worry about," he shot back, hopping up and marching over to me. I had to suppress a laugh, as he recently started dressing like Napoleon, which caused him to jingle when he walked. I had to explain to him yesterday that he was dressed similarly to Napoleon Bonaparte, not Dynamite. It was an embarrassingly hilarious conversation, and I don't plan on ever forgetting about it.

"No, actually, it is something for me to worry about. Because you're making me do the budget with help from the preteens," I stated, putting my hands on my hips.

"Please don't stand like that. You look like my mom. It's in the budget, don't worry. Now, I said to not ask questions. Leave," he groaned while trying to push me out of his office.

"You're damn right I look like your mom. I'm tired of dealing with this, and I need answers," I laughed, pushing him away from me.

"I will answer one question. Deal?" he asked.

"Deal. Where's Craig? I haven't seen him in two weeks. I'm worried," I sighed, leaning against the doorframe. Chang looked around nervously, chuckling before he pulled out a walkie.

He turned around and mumbled something into it, quiet enough for me to not hear him. He spun back around and put his hands behind his back, clearing his throat and saying, "The Dean will be in shortly. You can say hi, then you need to leave the room."

I nodded, unsure of what was going on. We waited in silence for a few minutes until one of the preteens came into the room. A moment later, the Dean walked in.

"Hey, Lou! It's me!" they exclaimed with an excited and over-exaggerated wave.

"Oh, thank goodness! I'm so glad to see you, Craig! Thank you for putting my mind at ease Chang," I put a hand on my chest, feigning relief as I went back to my chair. After Chang closed the door, I quickly turned my phone on and slid it into my bra. I only got one bathroom break, and it was closely timed and monitored, so I only had one chance to use my phone, and it would be when I was alone in the bathroom.

When the time came for my break, Laura came and got me. She's one of the campus students Chang hired to walk me to the staff bathroom. That way, it wouldn't be weird. You know.

We walked to the bathroom, and I went in, locking the door behind me. I had five minutes, and I needed to let Jeff know what was going on.

Me: hey, i saw the "dean" today. something isn't right. "he" called me lou, craig always calls me ellouise. plus, i mean, he didn't look like the dean. he looks like a moby impersonator. im on my bathroom break rn, so i dont have much time.

Jeff❤: Okay, text me when you're off. I think you need to quit, baby. That job doesn't sit well with me.

Me: i would but i need the money. i gotta go, love you cowboy😜

Jeff❤: You know I would pay for everything or even just let you move in. But I love you too, lemondrop.❤️

I turned my phone off, sliding it into my bra again. I flushed the toilet to make it seem like I had genuinely used the bathroom, washed my hands, and walked out. Laura and I walked back to the office, and I sat down at my desk, slipping my phone out and back into my purse while I was bent over to grab my lunch box. I pulled out my lunch and began eating while working on stuff, ready to get out of here so I could see Jeff and talk to him about what was happening.

"Alright, today's debriefing isn't going to be short," Chang stated into the microphone, walking along the stage. We all met in the cafeteria for this, and it usually only lasted five minutes. I guess something must have happened.

"It's come to my attention that we have a mole amongst us. Somebody has been using their phone during the workday and has told somebody about the Deanochanger. If they confess now, you can all go home. I know who it is."

Everyone began looking around, except for me. How did he know? Did he actually bug my phone? I swallowed the lump in my throat and began looking around angrily like everyone else. Surely Chang wouldn't say my name out loud, right? And there's no way he could keep these kids here this long. I mean, I was surprised they could be here during the day at all. Maybe they're homeschooled?

"Since she won't speak up, I need Ellouise Whitley to come forward. Turn your phone on and bring it up with you," Chang demanded. I felt everyone's glance turn to me, their eyes wide with surprise. I grabbed my phone and slowly stood up. I looked to the faces around me for a moment, my gaze quickly falling to the floor as I walked up the stage. "Unlock it and pull up your texts."

I did as Chang demanded, genuinely afraid of being tased by a preteen fueled by hormones and rage. He spent a few moments on my phone, texting furiously before locking the phone and placing it in his pocket. He laughed, holding the microphone back up to his mouth and saying, "With this, Ellouise has dumped Jeffrey Winger and announced her entire friend group!"

"Do you mean denounced?" I asked, scoffing.

"Yeah, whatever. Take lemondrop away. Put her with the Dean. The next person to make this mistake will suffer the same fate, don't test me. Also, my birthday Changstravaganza is this Friday, and I expect all of you to be there."

Author's Note

Thanks for 7k reads!!

-Sam