walk | 10

⌜                                                     ⌝

spiked - chapter ten

⌞                                                     ⌟

A slightly bitter feeling ate away at Ushijima. The male himself didn't understand what was going on, and he hated it. He searched endlessly on the internet on what the feeling was and why he felt it.

But he couldn't find a definite answer.

His eye bags were prominent as he entered the school, and once again he found himself looking for someone, but he didn't know who.

"Wakatoshi you look like you just got ran over," Tendou said as he appeared next to the volleyball ace

"I didn't get much sleep last night."

The two finished putting on their shoes as was about to close their lockers when two soccer player voices were heard.

"Ryouta-senpai I'm this close to drop-kicking you back into a clump of cells,"

"I'm sorry [y/n] baby, you just looked so cute." He teased, a playful smile on his face as [y/n] looked away angrily.

"Who are you calling your baby?" As [y/n] turned around to look at Ryouta again, he met eyes with a certain volleyball captain, "Ushijima-senpai!"

The male was about to walk over when the tanned soccer player grabbed him by the hand and tugged him back, leaning down to whisper something incoherent into his ear. Ryouta's yellow eyes bore into Ushijima's as if telling him to back off.

[y/n]'s face held a pink tint to it as he looked up at his captain before glancing at Ushijima in a nervous manner. The soccer player rocked on his heels as the school bell finally rung, disappearing the awkward tension within the four. 

Ryouta then slowly leaned down and kissed the corner of [y/n]'s mouth, "See you later [y/n]."

"Huh? Oh okay..." 

The tall male purposely provoked the wing spiker, causing the familiar bitter feeling to come back by the tenfold. 

"Hmm? I knew there was something I didn't like about him, " Tendou smiled, his eyes glaring daggers at the back of the soccer captain's head. 'Ruining my damn ship-'

Ushijima stared at the male as well, getting lost in his thoughts when a small tug attracted his attention.

"Ushijima-senpai..." [y/n] seemed to blush even more under his senpai's gaze but he continued nonetheless, "I'm sorry for ignoring you yesterday, ah you probably didn't even notice though-"

"I noticed." 

[y/n] jumped in surprise at his sudden words and looked up at him in disbelief, "Eh? Really?"

Tendou's head peaked around, "Really! Wakatoshi was moping the entire da- ack!"

"I don't know what he was talking about."

At the sudden movement of Ushijima, [y/n] started laughing to the point where tears formed in the corners of his eyes.

"Haha that's good," [y/n]'s eyes seemed to twinkle as he adorably smiled, "My efforts aren't in vain after all~"

Ushijima's heart pulled at the action as another bell rang throughout the school.

"We should get going to class now, senpais," [y/n] started to walk backward, waving goodbye at his upperclassmen, "I'll see you after practice!"

As the two watched the male disappear into the stairs, they too walked to their own classrooms.

Just as they were about to go separate Ushijima abruptly interrupted Tendou with the most random statement ever.

"I think I have a heart problem."

And then he left Tendou with no explanation as the redhead stared with questions floating around his head.

˚

Nearing the end of the volleyball practice, a familiar [h/c] haired male burst through the doors. 

"I'm here!"

The volleyball team seemed to visibly relax, as the off-Ushijima and no show [y/n] from yesterday had made them wonder if something had happened between them.

Just as some of the volleyball members were about to greet him, the captain himself walked over and gave the shorter male a water bottle.

"You just came from practice right? Drink up and sit while I finish up," 

The stoic male pushed a water bottle to [y/n], the male grabbing it after realizing what the ace had said.

Although it was unusual from the treatment he would usually get, [y/n] smiled brightly, "Okay~ I'll wait for you!"

Ohira and Kawanishi fist-bumped each other quietly in the back, a proud smile on their faces as they mentally compared the progress between the two. 

And just like that, practice flew by and Ushijima and [y/n] were alone.

"Bye Tendou-senpai," [y/n] waved, earning a loud goodbye back as the redhead finally left school campus.

The two stood in silence for a little bit before Ushijima spoke first.

"Let's walk home together."

"Huh?"

[y/n] stared at Ushijima before realizing he was walking without him, his heart swelling up with joy and he replayed the sentence in his head.

"Are you coming?"

Ushijima glanced behind him, no doubt seeing the absolute joy in [y/n]'s eyes. The slightly bitter feeling was now gone and was replaced by what he felt whenever he played volleyball at his max.

"Yeah!"

[y/n] was seen happily running to Ushijima's side, a wide grin on his face as he happily talked to the ace with his entire heart. 

'So this is what would've happened if [y/n] walked home with me that day...'

Due to [y/n] expressive talking with his hands, he didn't notice the cute smile that blossomed on Ushijima's face as the ace looked down at the first year. 

'I don't mind it at all.'

[y/n] momentarily paused in his rant when he saw the smile out of the corner of his eyes. Unconsciously, he too smiled, his eyes smiling with him as he exploded with joy.

"And then..."

That walk would be forever engraved in their minds, marking the beginning of something truly amazing.