soulmate | 19

⌜                                                                     ⌝

spiked - chapter nineteen

⌞                                                                     ⌟

The aura around the two star soccer players seemed better than ever as they entered school together laughing.

Their bright smiles attracted unwanted attention and the two looked in harmony with each other... until you get closer.

"Stupid! Why the fuck would you insert it dry? I feel so bad for the uke's ass."

[y/n] pointed at his phone, disgust written all over his face as Ryouta leaned in over his shoulder.

"Now that you brought it up... maybe if it's already loose?"

His nonchalant comment resulting in a smack to the shoulder, "Ow, what was that for?"

"I feel so bad for your future partner. I just hope Wakatoshi doesn't think like you do," [y/n] pouted, closing his phone as he looked ahead.

'Oh speak of the devil,'

"Wakatoshi-senpai~"

[y/n] moved away from Ryouta and stopped a few inches away from the volleyball captain who started patting his head as usual.

"Morning [y/n]." He gave a soft smile to the first year before looking up in front of him. His lips pressed into a line as he grabbed [y/n]'s arm and turned him around, "Let's go you're gonna be late for class."

"H-huh but there's 10 minu-"

"Late."

Ryouta stared at their disappearing forms with an unknown smile before walking off to his own classroom, not noticing the look Ushijima threw over his shoulder.

"Hehe Wakatoshi-senpai want to go shopping later?"

The ace looked at the male and found himself giving in quickly, "Okay."

[y/n]'s smile grew and so did Ushijima's.

˚

Ushijima sat in his desk, his hands folded in front of him as his mind ran over the last few months of his life.

Tendou tilted his head, noticing the male wasn't paying attention to him as usual and started waving his hands in front of the ace's face.

"Hm Wakatoshi-kun? You there?"

His words seem to snap the wing spiker back into reality, except for nodding he stared uncomfortably at his friend.

"Why does my heart hurt?"

The redhead jaw dropped momentarily before getting a feel of what the male was saying.

"Is this about [n/n]-kun?"

Ushijima seemed to have a moment of realization as he looked almost thankfully at Tendou, "I guess it is?"

'My ship is finally setting sail! Don't worry [n/n]-kun I'm on your side!'

"Ehh? So what happened?" Tendou said, crossing his arms on Ushijima's desk with one of his arms propped up, "Did today's interaction in the morning set something off?"

The ace hummed slowly, "Whenever I see [y/n], my heart tugs at itself. Do I need to go to the doctor?"

Tendou started laughing, "Haha no it's normal. Does the tugging feel nice?"

"... yes, it's warm."

The middle blocker blinked slowly, not expecting such love-filled words to come out of his stoic captain. He grinned slightly, his eyes sparkling as he awed in his mind.

"And? Anything else?"

Ushijima ears suddenly turned pink, and he shyly covered half of his face, "At the theme park, he looked... cute when I won him that teddy bear."

"And when he kissed me, I didn't want him to stop."

"?!" Tendou mentally clapped energetically as he praised [y/n] in his mind. Taking a note to give the male exclusive Ushijima pictures of him sleeping.

"But... sometimes it hurts. I get angry, or jealous as [y/n] calls it."

Tendou took on a shocked expression, "Huh? When?"

Ushijima's face went cold and reverted back to normal.

"Whenever Yamamoto-san is around."

The middle blocker let out a sound of acknowledgement and nodded, "When?"

"That day on the rooftop, the day he pulled me aside, and whenever he's near [y/n]."

'So he's jealous...' Yet Tendou understood, "That makes sense, it's not like Yamamoto to give [n/n]-kun up that easily."

"?"

Tendou seemed to hesitate a bit, but realized telling this information wouldn't be harmful, "You know how [y/n] and Yamamoto were the ideal couple? It wasn't a lie. They complimented each other so much to the extent that it was kinda unreal."

Ushijima's face grew cold as he motioned to leave.

"Wakatoshi just listen." Once he saw the male wasn't gonna leave anymore he continued on, "Anyways, it was obvious the two loved each other but..."

"But?"

"[n/n]-kun was Yamamoto's soulmate, that's true." Tendou looked out to the window, where he saw [y/n] chasing around the black haired captain, "But he wasn't [n/n]-kun's. Ya know?"

The volleyball captain just nodded, already heard the words from the male himself.

Tendou sighed, "So shoot your shot already! If not Yamamoto really is gonna get together with [n/n]-kun."

"..."

"Do you even know why you're acting like this?"

Ushijima shook his head no, earning yet another sigh from his friend.

"If Yamamoto started dating [n/n]-kun right now, what would you feel?"

The volleyball captain sat in his seat, thinking about it. Before he realized his jaw clenched and his hands balled up into fists, "Angry... then sad."

"And why is that?"

"Because [y/n] is my friend?"

Tendou smacked his forehead but knew his captain was getting there.

"No, it's because you like [y/n]."

Ushijima froze in his seat as the words replayed in his head. Tendou just sighed as the bell rung, signalling the end of the lunch period. He patted his friend's shoulder before leaving, giving the male time to process his words.

The stoic captain remembered all his feelings whenever he was around the shorter male, unknowingly releasing a warm smile.

'I like [y/n]?'

And so, Ushijima finally realized the very thing that would mark the beginning of a rocky path, and maybe it'll become smoother as time passes. But for now, the male silently rejoiced inside of his head, a warm and happy feeling spreading throughout him.