unravel | 21

⌜                                                                    ⌝

spiked - chapter twenty one

⌞                                                                    ⌟

[y/n] sat on the bench, his eyes squeezed shut as he took countless deep breaths. His hands were still shaking and trembling as he struggled to calm his anxiety down.

"It's alright, take all the time you need."

Ushijima's voice was warm and soothing, one of his hands eventually stroking [y/n]'s [h/c] hair. His eyes held no disgust or judgement, and were just completely calm and filled with worry.

He waited and waited. Continuously comforting [y/n] until he was ready to share.

"I loved Ryouta," [y/n]'s voice was still shaky as he hiccuped due to his harsh crying. His figure laid in Ushijima's arms as he fiddled with the ace's fingers, "I really did."

"I was so h-happy. Even if we, we went to different schools, I still loved him."

No matter how hard it hurt to hear the one you like in love with someone else, Ushijima still listened to him wholeheartedly.

"I felt like I was on cloud nine. He made me feel so special, I felt like I was special."

A bitter laugh escaped the soccer player, causing Ushijima's heart to squeeze in pain.

"I was so ignorant to the backlash we would face, that I would face."

[y/n]'s hands squeeze at Ushijima's fingers. Slowly, tears fell from [e/c] eyes, dripping down his face as they fell on his hands.

"Everyone seemed so accepting- and I thought his mother would be too..."

Ushijima squeezed [y/n] tighter, a sign that he was right there for him and that he wasn't going anywhere.

"His mother loved me, saying I was an ideal best friend, that she would always count on me to know where Ryouta was, " The next words seemed to get stuck in his throat as his body trembled once again, "But once she found out, it was like a switch flipped."

[y/n] and Ryouta sat in the living room of the high schooler's house nervously, sitting as they normally would've as any other day as Ryouta's mother came home from work.

"[y/n]? You're still here? Why don't you stay for dinner, I'll call your dad."

She smiled happily, putting her coat on the rack as she walked over to the two.

"Mom, can you sit down for a bit?"

She raised an eyebrow but did as asked, "Yeah sure honey, what's up?"