3

The party goes on and on. I sit next to Tori for a while before a girl werewolf named Jade walks over and joins us, and then she is joined by Lee.

"I'm Jade," she says. "It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you as well," Tori says.

I get up, leaving Jade, Lee, and Tori on the stairs. I don't know why, but I always feel like a third wheel or something when I'm around more than two people. It's an issue with me.

I see a couple standing and talking, one's a male vampire, the other is a female witch.

"Hey, it's the skinwalker girl," says the girl. "I've seen you in school before, I'm Gemma, and this is Nick."

"Hi," Nick says.

"Hi there."

"Hey, do you happen to know anybody who would like to do a bit of spellwork?" Gemma asks.

"Sure."

"Cool. Get them, and meet us in the backyard, 'kay?"

The two of them walk away. I go and round up Harry, Henry, Lee, Tori, and Jade. We head into the backyard and I see a large fire pit in the center of the yard, and I see Gemma standing in front of the fire, her arms upraised toward the sky. Nick is beside her, not seemingly paying attention to anything.

"Okay," Gemma says. "Good, everyone's a weirdo. No humies allowed, am I right?"

What is with people saying that word? It's the first time I've ever heard it. But it seems like everyone is saying it now.

"What are we all doing here?" asks Jade.

"We are here because I wanted to cast a spell, and I need some people to help with that," Gemma says.

"What kind of spell?" I ask.

"The kind where the people get to meet someone from the other side. Someone who's dead."

"But not all of us have magick," says Tori.

"Well, I'm thinking half of us can use magick, and magick feeds from the energy of everything around it.  So we could use your energy to charge the spell."

"Who are we talking to?" Henry asks.

"My friend," says Nick. "She died a while back. Her name was Sera."

"Okay, so, what do we have to do?" asks Harry.

"Hold hands, stand in a circle," Nick says.

I hold Tori's and Lee's hands, and we stand in a circle around the fire pit.

Gemma begins to chant, and soon, so does Nick. As we stand, I feel an electric charge in the air. I look at the fire, and see a girl appear in the flames. She looks so sad.

"Sera!" Nick says.

"Nick," she says. "Stars, I never thought I'd see you again."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. And I am not in pain. I am fine."

"That's good. Are you ... able to tell us anything about what had been happening?"

"I was only six when I found out I was cursed to be a vampire, when I didn't want to live forever. But everything changed when that man murdered me."

"A man? What man?" Gemma asks.

"I don't know his name," she says.

"What did he look like?" I ask.

"Tall and dark," she says. "Please ... you must find out who killed me so I can move on. Once you've told me what his name is, I can move on to the next plane."

"What was he?" Nick asks.

"I think he was a wendigo," she says. "I'm sorry, I must go." Then she is gone.

We break the circle, and then my phone goes off. I check it. It's a text from my dad.

"I gotta go," I say. "Sorry."

I head back to the front yard, and my dad picks me up. He sighs as we are driving down the road, and I give him a worried look.

"Your grandmother is dead."