18

I stand in the living room of my house, waiting for my mom to come in and finish helping me put on my dress. It is very form-fitting, so that I can morph in it with ease. I wear a white dress that conforms to my size, one that accentuates my curves and everything. It's white to symbolize the beast I can become at will.

A crown of antlers is placed upon my head, encrusted with jewels from all over, but none of it is silver or turquoise. Toxic to skinwalkers, after all.

"This is gorgeous," Mom says as she comes in with my aunt Caragh. Caragh smiles at me before handing me a set of gold cuffs for my wrists.

"You two really outdid yourselves this year," I say.

"Oh, well thank you," Mom says.

"Now, are you ready?" asks Caragh.

"Think so."

They walk me through the house and out into the backyard of the house. Henry stands among the other skinwalkers, and he smiles at me. I smile back at him, glad to have someone so familiar at my side.

If I cannot have Nick, as he's a vampire, I get to have Henry at my side. Though, if I could trade them, I would. I don't want to be with anyone else but Nick. But if my parents found that out ....

With me being Clan Leader, I have to mate with another skinwalker.

I hate that rule. In fact, I seek to change it.

I walk out into the warm, late May air and join Henry as he stands beside Mom, or rather, the Clan's shaman. Our wisewoman.

"Let the Ritual begin!" she says, upraising her hands over her head and closing her eyes.

Father hands me the unconscious and dying coyote. I walk over to the altar and lay the coyote pup down. The crowd quiets and the ceremonial drums begin to beat. I draw my dagger from my belt and stab it in the heart.

"I offer this gift to the beast within me," I say.

"We offer this gift to you," echoes the others.

"Thank you, for this gift, given by you to us."

The crowd echoes my words.

Then, the Ritual is over. We bury the coyote pup in the ground at the base of the altar.

Next is the Blood Moon Hunt.

Anything goes in this Hunt. I'm more than ready for it.