44

~ months later ... ~

Haven and Nevah were born not long ago. Two beautiful baby girls have finally arrived in my life, making it complete.

I hold Nevah in my arms, and she sleeps peacefully. Nick and Haven are laying in bed, fast asleep. I hum a song to Nevah, and my baby girl smiles in her sleep. I am the only one awake right now. I look at the door to our bedroom and wonder what is going to happen next. Will I be able to keep my babies? Will someone or something hurt them?

Oh, sky above me, no one will ever hurt my babies. They won't take them away. In fact, I'm going to make sure that no one can. I'm going to hide them from everyone outside our immediate family and friends. No one will know of them, thus keeping them safe from those who would wish them harm for whatever reason.

"You look exhausted," Nick says, surprising me. Moments before, he'd been fast asleep with Haven. Now he's awake.

"Yeah, I kinda am," I say.

"Here, let's put her in her crib," he says.

I nod and hand Nevah over to him. He gently places her in the crib and smiles at me.

"C'mon, Regina. It's time to sleep," he says.

I chuckle and lay down beside him, and there we lay, his arms around me, our babies sleeping at the base of our bed. Nick and I have been through hell and it has been very hard on us both. But now, we have a family. And now, we can actually be safe and sound together again.

I can't wait to see what my daughters both grow up to be. I can't wait to know them. Both of them. And as I finally fall asleep, I'm finally happy....

~ the end ... ?~