13

I run back to my house, and I call up Nick's mom. He is missing. And now, I have only a couple hours to find him. So I morph into my wolf form and run. For a while, I don't even know where I'm going.

But then, as I'm trying to find where he is, I get a clue. Well, it's technically an idea. What if I went back to where they were keeping me? Is that where he is?

So I decide to head to Nick's home. When I get there, after shifting into my wolf form and running the entire way, all five miles, I am exhausted. But I still have a lot of work to do.

Knowing my sniffer is more effective in my skinwalker form, I shift and run, following his scent. I finally stop when I reach the spot where his scent is strongest. I slip into the shadows and morph back into myself.

"Where is he?" I yell into the darkness.

"Regina? No, it's a trap!"

I run to Nick, who is chained to the wall, held in place by silver and turquoise studded chains. I snarl as I sense his discomfort, his pain. Silver burns like an allergic reaction. And turquoise is a stone that repels the "evil" creatures. And Nick, being a vampire is also low on his blood fix. So this means I will have to surrender some of my blood for him.

"It's a trap," he tells me as I walk closer.

"I don't honestly care," I say. "You need blood. I will give that to you once we are safe, okay?"

I begin to morph, and he yells for me to look out. I grab hold of the tire iron that Sammy was using to knock me out with, and I break it in half. Sometimes, being a skinwalker is really cool.

He yells for someone to help, but by the time he's finished saying his first word, I have knocked him out cold. I finish my morph, and then I tear the chains off of Nick, and hold out my arm.

He looks at me, and I have to bite my arm to draw blood and attract his attention to it. He moans and then sinks his fangs into the wound. I hiss, but in a moment, his healing properties in his spit heal my pain from my arm.

After a moment, I break away. He looks at me, blood caked on his lips, and I smile as best as I can in this form. He nods and stands up, but then I hear someone laughing. A man appears, standing tall with dark blond hair, green eyes, an angular face, and pale skin. He wears a brown tee shirt and black jeans.

"I'm Luke," he says. "And you're not going anywhere."

I can tell by his scent that he's a wendigo. My skin crawls in reaction to this news. He's evil, an abomination. I snarl and step closer to him, and he smiles.

"You really don't want to mess with me," he says.

"Try me," I growl.

He launches himself at me. I bring my hand up and catch his fist as it flies my way. I then snap his wrist with my bare hands. He screams and backs away, but I watch as his wrist regenerates.

"Impressive. Most impressive," he says.

"Back off. Now."

He shrugs. "Well, can't say I didn't try to stop you. But of course, I couldn't win against both of you." The wendigo, Luke, turns away and walks off into the night.

I morph back to myself and hug Nick.

"Come on, I'm getting you out of here," I say.