26

I don't know how long I've been in this cage.

It's been quite a while, though.  I know that much. I bow my head and close my eyes. I need to get us out of here and back home. My Clan needs me. My family needs me.

But right now, Nick and my friends need me more.

It's probably hours later that they come in, Other Regina and Elara. Other Regina is wearing a baggy shirt, and I can see a white bandage against her tan skin under her shirt collar. She walks over and smirks as Nick recoils.

"Get away from him," I snarl. My voice does not sound the least bit human.

"Oh? You take issue with this?" she says, placing her hand on his shoulder. He flinches. She smiles darkly.

"You really think you can beat us, little skinwalker girl?"

"Go to hell," I say.

"You are so fond of those ideas, aren't you?" She leans toward me. "The idea of me going to hell. But the thing is, in case you hadn't noticed, we all are in hell. Well, I'm not and neither is Elara, but you are."

She looks down at Nick and then puts her face right next to his. He whimpers and I realize she's broken his spirit. She's broken him and conditioned him to fear her. Well, fear us, me specifically.

"Get out," I say. "And leave us alone."

"No."

"Look, you kidnapped us, brought us here, tortured us, and now you won't leave us the hell alone? What is wrong with you?"

"My dear, life is not fair. It never has been, never will be. But you expect it to be? Why?"

"Please ... if you're going to kill us, just do it. No more torture."

She laughs, and so does Elara. Nick cries.

My heart breaks.

"Who said anything about killing you, Regina Tso? I don't want you eight to die, I just need to protect the species of wendigo here and on your earth to survive. You would find a way to eradicate them all once you gained power."

"Once I what? Why the hell would I do that?"

"Because," Elara says. "You think you're better than us. You always have."

"What are you even talking about? I didn't even know you existed!"

"Enough. I will not hear your lies, deceiver." Other Regina shakes her head. "I, Regina Peshlakai, and my cousin Elara Peshlakai, have successfully saved the wendigo in both worlds."

She kisses Nick's cheek and I scream, slamming into the bars of my cage, and trying to get out.

"Good luck morphing on so little food," Elara says.

Then, they leave us.