The Ripple

Yup. Hello. I'm going to do it in this format just bc I feel more comfortable with it. HERE WE GO. I hope y'all missed me ;)

Vaggie's POV

'This is absolute garbage.' I kicked a trashcan as I continued to walk down a dark street. My clothes were starting to smell and my feet were aching. 'Alastor...'

I glanced at a filthy beggar that sat on the curb. I sighed and decided to sit next to him. "What's your story? And don't ask me for drugs or money. I don't have any."

The old demon chuckled then shook his head. "I don't really have one. Honestly. I'm more interested in yours." He coughed and rubbed his hands together. "I've been watching you walk the streets. I figured you weren't a hooker."

I laughed. "You got that right. I do know a certain spider demon that would take offense to that though." I shook with small laughter at the thought of Angel. I hate to admit it, but...I missed him. Pole dancing and all.

The old demon glanced at me. "So? I'm waitin'." I nodded. " Well, my best friend kicked me out of my own home. And...picked her love over me..." I glared at the cement.

I felt a gentle pat on my shoulder. "It happens." I looked over at him. "...I don't think it's really a common occurrence..."

He laughed. "No, but aren't all problems common occurrences?" I shrugged and nodded. He smiled slightly. "If she's your true friend, she'll get you back. But!" He held up a gnarled finger. "It takes two to make things work! In order to start the change, someone has to make the ripple in the pool. Will you choose to start it, or wait for her?" He stared deep into my eye.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "You...are making sense but you aren't at the same time...I know what you mean." I wrung my hands together anxiously. "I guess...I'll talk to her..."

The old demon grinned and pat my back again. "Good. I believe you made the right choice." He sighed contentedly.

I looked at him and gave a soft smile. He seemed so...at peace for a beggar on such a dangerous street. I admired him.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched him pick up his begging sign and stare at the words written on it.

'Help please. Food or water, anything helps. Please. God bless you'

I stared at the last 3 words. 'God bless you.' He traced a long finger over each letter. I watched carefully.

Charlie would've loved this old man. That's what he is. A man. He doesn't belong here. In Hell. He belongs up there. In Heaven. Why...Why is he here? In this miserable place?

I grabbed his hand. "Come with me." He stopped looking at the sign and looked at my hand instead. "No." I shook my head. "Why? You can live at the Happy Hotel. Or the Hazbin Hotel. You can be redeemed!"

He sighed. "No." I still didn't let go. He still stared at my hand. "Why?" My voice cracked. I didn't know why tears were welling in my eye. I don't know why a lump began to form in my throat.

"They won't be there. They won't be up there. They're not here anymore. They're...gone." I shook my head. "Who?" He chuckled and looked into my eye. Sorrow was deep into his eyes. "My family."

I let go of his hand. "I'm... I'm sorry..." I glanced at the ground then back at him. "What happened...?" His stare never faltered. "They were killed in a turf war. Population control, basically." He chuckled softly.

A tear ran down my cheek.

"Please come with me...we can take you in." I smiled, but it was strained. He stood up. I followed suit. "I'll follow you. I'm ready to leave with a happy memory." He smiled.