Chapter 10

“REBEKAH?! NIKLAUS?” I yelled as I walked into the home dropping a few shopping bags to the ground.  The energy felt weird in here and my breathing hitched.  “REBEKAH?”  I yelled as I ran towards the living room, “Esther?”  I whispered. She looked up at me, her eyes sad, her lips pouted.  I took a step back, “Rebekah whats going on?”  I questioned not taking my eyes off of Esther.  “You haven't done what I said.”  Esther said looking at me.  “Esther I wasn't prepared just to go back once you turned me into a vampire.  Im protecting them now, Esther!”  She didn't reply but looked back over at Rebekah. “Nobody should live a thousand years Rebekah.  Rebekah Im sorry.”  She took Rebekahs hands and her breathing became irregular and before I knew it she was laying on the floor.  “Oh god Rebekah.”  I whispered as I ran to her side.  “Whats going on?”  Niklaus’ voice came from behind us.  “Shes dead.”  I whispered

I tossed and turned in the king sized bed belonging to Niklaus.  I laid on my back as I started to think of todays events and how Esther was now dead, officially.  I pulled the duvet up under my chin, trying to keep warm.  I sighed as I faced the empty space next to me in the bed, Niklaus was at the Salvatore’s, probably trying to get the remainder stakes while I laid here, alone.

“Good morning Rebekah!”  I spoke cheerfully as I finally turned my head away from Niklaus painting.  “What took you so long?”  Niklaus asked his sister without turning around. “Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake, luckily I'm quite the charmer.”  She said waving the stake in her hand and walking towards Niklaus.  “Thats it?”  Niklaus smiled.  “The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us.” she twirled the stake in her hands,  “Do you want to do the honours?” She asked Niklaus as she handed him the stake.  “Rebekah?  Are you okay?  You seem odd?”  I asked her, the vibe wasn't normal Rebekah.  It was some sort of energy I wasn't particularly liking.  She didn't answer me and let Niklaus grab the stake from her hands.  I frowned. “Well thats that then.”  She said smiling and walking away as she watched Niklaus throw the stake into the fire.  “Pack your bags. We’re leaving.”  He said as he continued to paint.  “Today?”  She asked.  “Why not theres nothing keeping us here. We can grab the doppelgänger and be off by sunset.”  I frowned as I took a sip of my coffee.   “But tonights the decade dance.”  Rebekah said sounding quite sad.  “So?”  Klaus asked as he looked at his painting.  “So? So I'm head of the committee. I have to go.”  Maybe there wasn't anything wrong with Rebekah.  “Im not going to any dance.” Klaus said sharply as he turned his head around to look at her.  I laughed, “Oh come on Klaus, I’m going to the dance.”  I winked.

 “Caroline will be there.” Rebekah snarly spoke.  I raised an eyebrow and looked over at Niklaus.  “That means nothing to me.”  He spoke dryly.  “Please?  I have big plans for tonight.”  Rebekah whined.  “Just go for me.”  She pouted as Niklaus walked towards her.  “Okay fine.  One last hurrah!”  Klaus smirked.  “One last hurrah, Nik.”  I frowned at the tone of her voice. I watched as she walked off.  “Klaus do you think theres something wrong with Rebekah?”  I asked him as I stood up from the chair.  He sighed loudly, “Youre one to talk.  You still have your emotions off.”  I rolled my eyes.  “Youre annoying.”  I snarled.  “But you love me.”  He sung. 

Waving my hair and pinning it so it looked shorter than it was I zipped up my flapper dress smiling to myself.  The deep purple dress was actually something I wore in the 1920’s. Those had been one of my favourite years.  The fashion was so exotic, the makeup outstanding.