Chapter Three

When you woke up you were sitting in a van next to Steve and across from Sam and Nat.

Steve was saying something about the Winter soldier but one word caught your attention, "Bucky..." Suddenly you didn't care about the pain in your leg or your splitting headache.

"What?" you were very confused.

"You're awake." Sam looked at you.

"HYDRA must have given him something to help him survive the fall. But, he looked in my eyes and he..he didn't even know me." Steve looked defeated.

"Steve, he was probably brainwashed." you told him. He just nodded.

Sam looked at Nat's shoulder and then at your leg. "If we don't get pressure on those wounds soon," One of the guards took out a taser looking thing, cutting Sam off. Then tasered the second guard and took off her helmet.

"Maria." You grinned.

"Agent Hill." Nat said.

"Hey guys." She looked at Sam, confusingly, "who's this guy?"

~

Steve and Sam got out first, then Nat. Steve helped her down and Sam took your arm, helping you get out. Sam helped you walk into this underground cave looking place before a doctor came jogging up to you guys. Steve started explaining the injury's before Maria cut him off.

"They'll want to see him first."

~

The doctor had already treated your leg and was now fixing Nat's shoulder as Fury was listing his injuries.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." He said.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor added.

"Oh, lets not forget that." He grinned, "Otherwise I'm good."

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Nat said. She was just as confused as the rest of the group.

"Tetrodotoxin B," He explained, "Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him. But, we found a use for it."

You left the room to go get some water as Steve started talking.

The four of you plus Maria and Fury sat around a table. Fury was looking at a photo of Alexander Pierce

"This man declined the Nobel peace prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.'" He laid the photo down, "See, it's stuff like this that give me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch." Nat crossed her arms.

"I don't think the councils accepting my calls anymore." Fury said, opening up a case with three chips inside.

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"Once the helicarriers each reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with insight satellite becoming fully weaponized." Maria started.

"They have targets that they will fire at.Your job is to switch one of the chips from each three ships with these." Fury nodded to the case. "The ships will be destroyed along with all the data in it. Maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left."

"We're not salvaging anything," Steve said firmly, "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it," Fury tried to explain.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends." Steve replied.

"HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody here noticed."

"SHIELD's been compromised you said so yourself." You added on.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury said.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve shot.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury tried to tell him.

"Even if you had, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes." Steve glared at him.

"He's right." Maria agreed. Fury looked offended. He looked at you. You just crossed your arms and nodded, Natasha doing the same.

When Fury turned to Sam, Sam just said, "Don't look at me, I do what he does. Just slower."

"Well looks like you're giving the orders now captain." Fury crossed his arms and leaned back. Steve just grinned.