CHAPTER EIGHT

We told them who we were and asked them if we could stay with them. Haru's mother allowed us to stay for the night but suggested we left in the morning which we agreed because the town was filled with Fire Nation guards.
Haru brought us to the barn, we thanked him and he left but I followed him, I felt like I should apologize for what Katara said.

"Haru!" I called and he looked back at me waiting until I caught up. "I'm really sorry about what my sister said earlier. She tends to not think before she gives her speeches, she means well."

"It's okay." He said as we walked "It's actually funny, the way she talked in the store and how you tried to stop her.. It reminded me of both my parents when they were together..."
I looked over at him. "My father was very courages, when the Fire Nation invaded he and the other earthbenders were outnumbered, ten to one. But they fought back anyways."

"He sure sounds like a great man." I said honestly.

"After the attack they rounded up my father and every other earthbender and took them away, we haven't seen them since." He kneeled on the cliff.

"And that's why you hide your eathbending." I replied.

"Yeah.." He grabbed two rocks and swirled them in his fingers. "The problem is the only way I can feel close to my father is when I practice my earthbending." He crushed them in his hand letting the sand slip through his fingers. "He taught me everything I know.."

"That's why you were in the woods? Hiding." I covered my face and shook my head. "I'm so sorry that we took that time away from you."

"You didn't know so I can't really blame you..." He said.

I sat next to him not knowing what to say next so I stayed quiet playing with my necklace. "I think you should keep doing it.." He looked at me.
"If it makes you feel closer to your father you should never stop, because like Katara said earthbending is part of who you are and...I'd hate for your village to lose another earthbender."

"Thank you." he nodded and we sat in the comforting silence. "I never got your name."

"Oh I'm Kaida.." We nodded and enjoyed the view.

"What happened to your wrist?" He asked and I looked at it, one distinct memory was of Zuko viciously grabbing it to make me unfreeze his crew.

"I fell off flying with Aang, on his glider and well I broke it." I answered not mentioning the Fire Nation or Prince Zuko. "He's not violent, we were actually trying to get away from ... the Fire Nation."
I wanted to change the subject and forget about Zuko at the moment. "Back in the Southern Water Tribe my dad and the men of our tribe had to fight against a fire navy and they were also out number. Now they've all gone to help the Earth Kingdom in the war."

   "Oh, I'm sorry." He said and I shrugged. "Was he a waterbender?"

   I hummed for a second. "Nope, just me and my sister, we were the only waterbenders in the South.." He rubbed my back and I blushed. "The Fire Nation killed my mother and my sister and I got this necklace, it belonged to her.
   It makes me feel closer to her and to my sister. She protected us from the Fire Nation." I inhaled as I started remembering her, so I shifted my attention back to him and his father. "Keep earthbending, not because Katara told you too just keep faith. The Avatar is back after all."