CHAPTER TWELVE

We sat waiting along time, traveling above Fire Nation waters, but eventually Aang spotted the island and we landed thanking Appa, I mean except for Sokka who thought we were talking about him. We climbed to the building but there were no guards visible or any people in sight. Katara suggested that they must have left when Avatar Roku died, we started running as the sun was setting meaning we only had limited time to find Avatar Roku.

   When we were in I felt like we were being watched and Sokka said he heard something. When we turned around we were met by the Fire Sages a bunch of Fire Nation old men. They told us they were guardians of the temple of the Avatar, Aang told them he was the Avatar and they hurled fire at us, Aang blocking it with air and he told us to run.
  We did run and he followed and cut us off telling us to follow him. I asked if he knew where he was going and of course he didn't. We heard a few grunts and decided just to follow him.

   "Wrong way!" Aang shouted as a Fire Sage stopped us and we ran in another direction which trapped us in a dead end.

   "I don't want to fight you." The Fire Sage said. "I am a friend."

   "Firebenders aren't our friends!" Sokka told him.

   The Sage got down in front of Aang and said. "I know why you're here, Avatar."

   "You do?" Aang asked.

   A girl wearing a mask came down the hall. "Gandfather get up, we have to go now." She said.

   "Who's she?" I asked.

   "She is trying to help you guys!" She replied and looked at the old man.

   The man told us he could take us to Roku and showed us a secret passage. We hesitated but followed when we heard the others were near.
   As we walked down the Fire Sage told us about the secret passages and how the statue had glowed and they knew the Avatar had returned.
   Aang asked why the Fire Sages attacked him in which the girl in the mask answered.

   "If you hadn't noticed, the Fire Nation took over and that means they work for Ozai." She said with a bit of attitude.

   "Mirai, Be respectful." The man told his granddaughter.

   "In the past the sages were only loyal to the Avatar." The girl explained. "When Roku died the sages eagerly awaited for the Avatar to return...but he didn't."

   "They were waiting for me." Aang said.

   "Hey don't feel bad you're only 100 years late." Sokka told him, I nudged him for his insensitivity.

   "Everyone lost hope that the Avatar would ever return." Mirai said. "When Fire Lord Sozin began the war. My great grandfather and the other sages were forced under his command."

   "I never wanted to follow the Fire Lord." The old man spoke. "When I learned you were coming. I knew I would have to betray the other sages."

   We continued walking up the countless amount of stairs and now I looked at the girl with the mask and thought this must have been included in her daily training.

   "Grandfather...the doors are closed." Mirai said. As we climbed out of a hole.

   "Can't you just open them with firebending?" Katara asked as Aang tried pushing them. "Like you opened that other door?"

   "No. Only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open the door, alone. Otherwise the sages must open the door together with five simultaneous fire blasts." Shyu said.

   "And there's only two willing to help." Mirai said.

   "How are we gonna open it?" I asked.

   "Five fire blast huh? I think I can help you out." Sokka said.
   "I learned this little trick from my father." He explained as he filled bags. "I seal the lamp oil inside the animal skin casing, Shyu and Mirai light the animal skins and TA-DA fake firebending."