CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

We all met at the palace to listen to Chief Arnook. Everyone was there terrified at the threat that was coming towards us.

   "The day that we have feared for so long has arrived." Arnook announced. "The Fire Nation is at our door step. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe. But they will never vanish from our hearts.
   Now as we approach the battle for our existence I call upon the great spirits, spirit of the ocean! Spirit of the moon, be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission!"

   "Count me in!" Sokka stood up. He had been hurt, it was notable on his facial expression.

   "Sokka!" I said worried but he walked away and I didn't stop him but neither did Katara. We watched as others stood and so did Yoshiro.

   "Be warned many of you will not return." Arnook said. "Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task."

   "Yoshiro, wait." I pulled him back down to me.

   "Kaida, these are my people I have to do this to save them." He said. "You would do the same for your people."

   "I know.." I said and he cupped my cheek. "Be safe."

   "I'll try to the best of my abilities." He joked and placed a kiss over my lips.

   Electricity ran through my body, my face became flustered but I melted into his arms. My first kiss ... well the one I wanted to count as my first real kiss because this one met more than Haru.
   No.
   Yoshiro pulled away and I felt tears brim at my eyes. I put on a fake smile but I was breaking inside as I watched him go up to get his father's mark. My heart shattered just the slightest but when I looked at Aang and Katara I had to wipe the tears away and I walked out.

⇢ ⇢ ⇢

   "The stillness before battle is unbearable." Arnook said to Aang as we walked over to him. "Such quiet dread."

   "I wasn't there when the Fire Nation attacked my people." Aang said. "I'm gonna make a difference this time."

   We went onto the bridge all the people who joined Arnook's army stood with us. The waiting felt like an eternity but the first fire ball was launched at us then another. Another hit the wall and Aang was ready to leave.

   "I'm coming with you." I said and started climbing up.

   "No!" Aang yelled and I ignored him

   "Me too!" Yoshiro climbed on.

   "Appa, Yip yip!" I said and we started flying towards the ship, when we got there Aang had to hit a fire ball before gliding off. "Our turn." I said.

   "Wait whaaa-?!" I pulled Yohiro with me jumping off of Appa into the water.

   Of course the water was cold but I didn't mind it anymore, we both used the water to sweep off the people on deck and we dodged all their firebending but we did get burned a couple of times. We destroyed the catapults as much as we could so they wouldn't have any real weapons.
   We finished and we froze the ship before Appa came to get us. We flew up and my heart sank at the number of ships that were left.

   "You've got to be kidding me." Aang said.

   "We can do this." I said aloud mainly trying to convince myself.