CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

I don't think our shock was much a surprise but our anger would have been. Yet there it was going because of what Pakku had just told us.

"What do you mean you won't teach us?!" Katara asked getting mad. "I didn't travel across the entire world so you can tell me no!"

"No." Pakku bluntly said.

"There must be other female waterbenders in your tribe." I spoke. "They can teach us if you won't."

"Here the women learn from Yugoda, to use their waterbending to heal." Pakku said. "I'm sure she would be happy to take you both as her students. Despite your bad attitudes."

"We have a bad attitude?" I asked. "You're the one who is refusing to teach us to waterbend."

"I don't want to heal, I want to fight!" Katara yelled.

"I can see that." Pakku replied. "but our tribe has customs, rules!"

"Yeah? Well you rules suck." I said.

"Yeah!" Aang came over. "They're not fair! If you won't teach my friends then..."

"Then what?" Pakku asked.

"Then I won't learn from you!" Aang said walking away.

"Well, have fun teaching yourself." Pakku called to him. "I'm sure you'll do a great job."

I felt guilty and so did Katara. "Wait... Aang didn't mean that."

Katara and I ran over telling Aang he had to learn from Master Pakku even though the guy was a jerk. He agreed and turned while Katara and I walked away.

Katara and I agreed we would go to see if Yugoda would take us as her students. When we walked in she was demonstrating the healing on a dummy, all the girls were much younger than my sister and I.

"Hi, are you Yugoda?" Katara asked.

"Are you two here for the healing lesson?" She asked and we looked around.

"Yes we are." I answered and we sat down.

It was boring but at least we learned more about out healing abilities.

   "Thank you for the lesson." I said to the lady.

"I see you both have a piece of a betrothal necklace." She said.

"Our grandmother gave our mother this necklace and our mother passed it down to us." I explained and Yugoda examined the pieces.

"I recognize this carving." Yugoda said. "I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner, you're the splitting image of, Kanna!" She told Katara.

"Wait how do you know my Gran-Gran's name?" Katara asked but I was also curious.

"When I was about your age. I was friends with Kanna, she was born here in the Northern Tribe." Yugoda explained.

"She never told us.." I said listening.

"Your grandmother had an arranged marriage with a young waterbender." She said. "He carved that necklace for her."

"If Gran-Gran was engaged why did she leave?" Katara asked.

"I don't know, that's always been a mystery to me." Yugoda replied. "She left without saying goodbye."

We finished talking and we walked out. I sighed and went a separate way than Katara.

"Hey, Ice Queen!" I continued walking ignoring the voice. "I know you can hear me! I wanna talk to you!"