two

We were heading to the sandlot early since it was the weekend. I knocked on Benny's door to get him. When he opened the door, he announced he was going to invite the new kid.

"Why? He can't even catch it Benny." I asked. Benny sighed, then said:

"Because he makes a whole team." I looked to the ground, silent. We said nothing while crossing the street to the boy's house. He was sitting on his porch, staring down at a baseball glove.

"Hey, were gonna go play some ball and we need an extra guy. Wanna go?" Benny asked the boy.

"Come on, Benny" I said, grabbing his hand and attempting to lead him away.

"Na, thanks." the boy said, only glancing up at us.

"Why not? Don't you like baseball?" Benny asked.

"Oh yeah but, uh..." I sighed again. We were getting nowhere with the boy, but Benny wouldn't give up.

"But what?'' Benny asked.

"But my glove... it's busted" the kid said, holding up a glove that was ripped. "See I-I can't go. Thanks though."

I nodded. "Okay, we tried. Sorry to waste your time. Let's go, Benny."

"It's okay, I got an extra one," Benny said, grabbing a glove out of his back jeans pocket. "Come on, let's go."

The kid threw his old glove into his house and yelled to his mom. "Mom I gonna go play some ball. I'll be back in a little while."

We came around he corner of the store where we met up everyday to see Ham attempting to say something, but he had something in his mouth.

"What?'' Everybody asked. Ham said it again and everyone replied the same as they did before. He took whatever it was out of his mouth.

"I'm the Great Bambino" Ham said annoyed.

"Oh," everybody held out in unison.

"Who's that?" The boy asked. I looked at Benny who was shaking his head.

"Really?" I asked him in a whisper, but he didn't respond.

"What did he say?" Ham asked, almost offended.

"What, were you born in a barn, man?" Weeks asked.

"Yeah yeah, what planet are you from?" Yeah Yeah asked.

"You never heard of the Sultan of Swat?" Squints asked.

"The Titan of Terror?" Kenny said.

"The Colossal of Clout?" Timmy said. Tommy repeated Timmy as usual.

"The King of Crash, man." Benny stated.

"Oh, yeah, the Great Bambino." he said. "I thought you said the Great Bambi."

"That wimpy deer?'' Ham asked.

"Yeah, I guess. Sorry" he shrugged. I shook my head in disappointment and embarrassment.

"Anyway, Scott, this is Timmy and Tommy Timmins,'' Benny told Scott. They spit when he introduced them.

"Ewe," I said.

"Mike Squints Palledorous," at that, Squints spit as well.

"Alan McLennan, we call him Yeah Yeah,'' Yeah Yeah followed Squints' actions.

"Bertram Grover Weeks," I didn't understand why they kept spitting.

"Kenny DeNunez," Right on que, he spit.

"Hamilton Porter, we call him Ham," Again, spitting.

"Guys, this is Scott Smalls," Benny said, then Squints spit again.