twenty.

Katherines POV

My skin crawls at the sound of the gun shot and the scream.

Why was a gun even shot? Was she armed?

I'm terrified.

"Katherine, please tell me that wasn't Kira screaming. Because I swear to fucking god if she was here-" Billie starts saying, but then the officer came around the corner, holding Kira's shoulder while her hands laid in handcuffs.

We both stood there, still with our hands up.

"Who's house is this?" the officer asks as my hands shake in the air uncontrollably.

"Mine." I say, stepping up a little farther, but only one step. He still has his gun drawn.

"You're both being arrested for aiding a criminal."

My eyes closed, and it felt like they'd never open again.

"She didn't know she was here." I say, trying to help Billie. She can't go to jail, it'll ruin her.

"Yeah, damn right I fucking didn't." Billie scoffs, trying to hold in her anger.

But without listening, the cops hold both of us down onto the car, handcuffing us.

And we both were escorted to the ripped up, beat up backseats of the cop car.

The same car.

Billie started out the window the entire ride, and I sat there crying.

What did I just do? Did I just ruin more lives than I intended to?

———————

"We spoke to McLay. She told us she threatened you and said if you didn't let her stay in your yard, she'd send her gang to kill you. Is that true?"

I sat, holding my hand on a Bible— which is ironic, I don't even believe in god— "Yes."

It was true. She had texted me that morning, before Billie even woke up.

But why was she saving me? And why is she letting herself go to prison? Or wherever she's going.

"And Ms. Eilish knew nothing about these messages or encounters?"

The officer speaking slid documents towards me. Screenshots of the messages of her telling me everything.

"Yes sir. She did not."

"Okay. You're free to go?"

It was that easy?

"Your stories line up perfectly and there's proof, so we don't need to go to court. Thank you for your time."

Billie was sitting on the bench outside as I walked out of the police station. This situation seems all too familiar.

"Get in the car." She says, pointing to the back of Finneas' car. Which, I noticed had been sitting there, waiting.

I walk to the back of the car, pulling the handle and sitting down as Billie plops into the front seat, immediately putting her seatbelt on and staring out the window.

"Can we go?" She asks Finneas, in the angriest tone I've heard from her since we broke up.

And I start to think, this might be the last time I see her. Because she tells Finneas to take a right, which I know leads to my house. And I know she isn't coming with me.

After a long, silent drive we sit in the driveway of my house once again.

"I'm going to get my stuff." She says, as we both hop out of the car together.

"What does this mean for us?" I ask, walking behind her because she's storming towards my house.

"It means I'm done putting up with the lies and the bullshit and the secrets and never knowing when or what is gonna happen with you."

She opens the door, slamming it right before my arm reaches for the handle.

I stare at the door in front of my face, but all I can do is cry.

I'm such a fucking idiot.

I twist the doorknob a few minutes later, and my face is met with hers. And I know she won't push me, so I just stand there, and we both stand there. Staring.

"I need to go."

"We need to talk."

"No we don't." She says, opening the door behind me and sliding past me.

And there she went.

Gone.

I saw her leap into the car with her bag in her hand. She isn't looking at me, so she can't see my expression. But I don't think my face has ever felt so sunk into my skull.

And I just sat down, watching his car pull off my property, and her look out the window right before they left my line of vision.

And she was crying.

And then I lost it.

Not only my control over myself, but I lost her. I knew I did. She didn't even have to text me or call me because I knew she wasn't going to come back. Not after every mistake I've made and every promise I've bent in half and every lie I've told.

And I understand it.

I wouldn't stay either, if I were her.

But I know even if she did this all to me I would stay by her side.

Because, god, I'm in love with her.