Ww

●●●
"Why didn't you tell me where you was going that night?" Dre peered through the window of his car holding a straight face.

I know it was wrong that my first call at the police station was Dre instead of my mother, but I felt like the relationship between us was completely torn. There was a chance that she possibly does care, but there's also a chance that she'd be happy that her kids were dropping out her life so she could make her own new family with pastor Williams.

"I'm sorry, okay? I knew you wouldn't have let me go there. There's no saying how much time they actually had to live."

His eyes darted over to me as he grunted his teeth together. It was obvious he was pissed off. "Do you know what a nigga had to go through looking for yo dumb ass?"

I shook my head slowly.

"I almost got shot. It prolly ain't serious to you, but when you've lived the life that I lived, almost getting shot really puts you outta place."

The car fell silent since there was no one in here except for us two. Anita didn't know Dre or trust him enough to get in his car, and Tayja decided she preferred an officer to drop her off.

"Well, thank you for picking me up." I looked at the dead garden that was attached to our yard. Momma usually watered them everyday and forced us to plow the soil, but that hasn't been done in the last few months. Everything around here just seemed dead.

Dre nodded his head stepping out his car, as I followed behind him clutching my phone tightly between my fingers.

"I missed you baby," Jay screeched with his arms wide open encouraging me to hug him.

I wasn't expecting him to be here, but I guess everyone got notified that we were back and headed to our house. Without realizing, I looked around the driveway noticing other vehicles.

"Jay, what are you doing here..."

The last thing I wanted to do was see his face. I thought we made it clear that we weren't together and that he wasn't aloud to be on my property every again. Clearly he can't take a hint.

He took a step closer to me and wrapped his arms around my waist forcing a tight hug. "The  real question is, what is he doing here?"

His eyes darted casually over to Dre who was staring a hole into the back of my head.

"Nigga, I fucked you up once for getting into my business, don't let it happen again," Dre threatened.

The moment Jay was preparing to reply, Momma ran out the house with tears trailing down her cheek. She pushed jay off of me. causing him to fall on the floor.

"MY ASS," He yelled, rubbing on it slowly.

She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me so tight I could barely let a breath out. Dre's eyes were still on me, but I ignored it and decided to embrace my mother's hug.

I did as she did, wrapping my arms around her too, enjoying this temporary moment of comfort.

"Oh I prayed 7 times everyday for this moment. Oh, God. JESUS, LORD. THANK YAH LORD. OH GOD IS GOOD, YES HE IS LORD." Is all that came out of her mouth as she continued to break down in yet, another prayer.

With a few more seconds of hugs, she finally let go of me and lead us all into the house. By my surprise, Tayja was already there sitting at the kitchen table beside her father and Brox.

"Go ahead and take a seat. I'll grab you guys a plate." Momma hurried and picked up a couple of utensils.

●●●

Dinner was kind of weird. Sitting down as a "family" with the one person I didn't even consider my family: Pastor Willams.

Over the time of the incident, and even a few moments before then, I found myself growing in acceptance when it came to Brox and Tayja. They actually did feel like siblings, but Mr. Willams, no. He was just too much of a messy person, and im not even sure if he still participated in gambling or not.

Brox put his fingers into his soup and pulled out a piece of chicken which he viciously chewed on.

"Boy! Stop eating like you came straight out of Africa," Pastor Williams snapped before smacking his hand.

"You really got no right telling me what to do, but pop off," Brox replied while sticking his finger back into his soup.

It seemed like the relationship between him and his father have gotten worse since our disappearance.

"So," Brox started once again, "What's happens now? All the bad guys outta the picture and I don't wanna act like none of this happened but.. are we even safe?"

Tayja picked with her food using her fork. "Let's see, Mark is still in Jail, Trey is murking erbody on east side, and now his little accomplice on North side is joining him. To answer your question, yes. We are ABSOLUTELY safe."

It felt awkward being here hearing them talk about this. We were actually safe, from what I know. Nas IS dead so there's no one who should be going for our necks, Nee is probably dead, and Adonis is out the picture- I think. Plus, the Trey issue was more directed to Dre.

"Sorry to interrupt this conversation," Dre cut in between our thoughts, "But my má is getting married at the end of this week. So if you interested, then come." He mostly looked at me.

"Oh forreal? You wouldn't mind me coming with my girlfriend?" Jay asked wincing his eyebrow at me.

I couldn't tell if he was trying to piss me off or if he was trying to piss Dre off, but it was making me feel some type of way. He wasn't even suppose to be in MY house eating OUR food.

"Momma, i'm confused as to why you even let Jay enter the premisas after knowing what he did to dad." I honestly felt uncomfortable.

Pastor Williams rolled his eyes. "It was just a accident. If God can forgive him, then you can too chile."

I stared at my mother hoping she would understand where I was coming from and get on my side.

He was lucky I didn't get up and pop his mouth with that smart remark he threw my way, but I was too concerned as to what her response would be.

"He has a point Bri." She wiped her mouth with the dry napkin before continuing. "You need to learn to forgive. What's done is done and there's no going back from it."

I stood up out my chair laughing at their stupidity. "I thought that maybe I could FORGIVE you and try to work things out with you so we could be cool again, but now i'm realizing that will never be the case."

As long as Pastor Williams was in the picture, her mind would never change. What bothers me more then that is the fact that he wasn't even in Jail.

With no hesitation, I picked up my cup of water and threw it at her face. "Ain't no way you my mama."

Brox joined my rebellion and threw his last piece of chicken at his dads shirt. "And I did that cause I wanted to."

Keeping my fingers still gripped onto my phone, I stepped out the kitchen to gather myself.