Injury

You were awoken by the loud banging of your door as an exhausted groan escaped your lips, dragging yourself to the door as you lazily opened it, eyes drooping.

"Good morning!" Satori grinned seeming overly excited.

You lazily rubbed your eyes, narrowing them as you spoke, "Good morning?"

"Hurry up, you'll be late for school," Satori demanded and your eyes widened. Did you oversleep? Again?

"Give me a minute," You grumbled, rushing around your dorm room and throwing on your uniform, you slugged your bag over your shoulders, and swung the door open, being met with olive brown eyes.

"Is something the matter?"

"Where's Satori?" You asked the captain, poking your head out of the door as you looked to the left and to the right- no sight of him.

"He told me you needed to speak with me," Wakatoshi began.

"Oh," Was all you said before an annoyed sigh parted from your lips, "I didn't. He was lying."

"Whether he was lying or not we're going to be late," Wakatoshi stated, and spun on his heel. You followed after him, shutting the door behind you as you walked directly next to him, your hands gently brushing against each other as you walked.

"Are you excited? We have our Miyagi Prefecture Qualifiers in a few weeks!" You smiled at the taller male, "And we have our training camp in a week."

"Yes. I'm excited," He stated blankly, "I intend on winning nationals."

"We haven't even won the qualifiers yet," You frowned.

"I don't intend on losing to any team," He said with a simple shrug as you arrived on school grounds.

"Your confidence is cute."

Wait. Did you say that out loud?

A blush erupted on your face as Wakatoshi stared at you with a baffled glance.

"Confidence is cute?" His brow raised.

"I mean- I just think it's cute because," You rambled on, and on in hopes that he would forget about it as your blush reddened, "I-I don't know. I mean confidence really does look good on people."

"Oh." Was all he said before parting ways with you as he slowly walked into his class. He bid you goodbye, and you mentally cursed yourself, before sadly wandering into your classroom.

~

After last period had finally ended, you Satori and Wakatoshi began towards the gymnasium. Practice probably already started and you were running late. As you barged into the gym, Satori and Wakatoshi rushed for the change room while you began walking towards your coach.

"You could've gotten that Shirabu!" Your coach relentlessly screamed, "Start working harder!"

"Sorry!" He called back, bumping the ball up high into the air.

A few hours passed. How long was volleyball practice going to go on for? Sometimes you would make it back to your dorm at around 8, and that didn't give you enough time to go on your phone and do all your homework. You frowned when you glanced down at your phone.

"7:47," You read to yourself with a small click of your tongue, your eyes darted towards the olive haired boy as he silently spiked the ball down with his right hand, the impact causing a shiver up your spine even if he was left-handed. You immediately took notice of the taller male's frown that formed when he looked down at his non-dominant hand. With a bit of curiosity you slowly strolled towards him.

"Are you okay?" You asked, and he only nodded, but you could tell he was lying. With little reluctance, you took his hand in yours and quickly examined it. He slightly tensed up, but eventually relaxed into your touch as your soft hand gently grazed across the athlete's, "Does it hurt to move?"

He nodded. "It only hurts when I move it. It's fine otherwise."

"That's good...," You mumbled, before turning around, walking towards your bag. You rummaged through your bag, quickly grabbing the white finger tape before rushing back to the taller male. Wakatoshi was sitting on the bench- probably the advice of the coach as you shot him a beaming smile. You didn't speak, as you knelt down in front of him, ignoring the contact with the male as you softly wrapped the tape around his fingers, before his olive eyes made their way to your working form. His eyes were locked on you, but you were too focused on trying to fix the tape around his fingers and slowly began working on the left side of his palm. He took notice of your features up close. The way your h/c hair was kinda messy today, to the way your e/c eyes glimmered when they were in the light- full of happiness. The way your lips were slightly parted and your breathing was calm and steady. Your cheeks were slightly puffed out, and Wakatoshi's heart tightened at the sight. What was happening? He made sure he got enough rest last night so what was happening? The feeling was unexplainable as his eyes remained on your frame. He never felt this way before. The feeling was odd, and mysterious yet so intriguing.

"Really (Name)? Here?" Satori playfully teased. A provoking smile formed on his face, and a blush grew on yours.

You froze for a short moment, gently biting down on your lip. As hard as you tried to ignore the badgering comments, the light pink that tinted your cheeks refused to fade as you uncomfortably shifted your weight from one leg to the other.

Wakatoshi, however didn't seem to understand the comment as his face pulled into one of bewilderment, his eyes slightly narrowing as he tried to process the red head's trivial remark. His puzzled glance didn't help the blush that was beginning to fade, as it instead returned tenfold.

After what seemed like a few more minutes, a bright smile formed on your face as you retracted your hand, the lingering warm feeling of the captain's hand remained as you sat down next to him.

"You should sit out for today, Ushijima. Even if it isn't your dominant hand you should not overwork it." Your coach's voice interrupted your thoughts, as he called out towards the bench.

"I told you not to overwork yourself," You frowned at the male, who was staring at the game, his shoulders slumped before he looked back down at his right hand.

"Thanks," He said gratefully.

"You're welcome," You chuckled, watching as Satori spiked the ball down, a victorious smirk tugging at his lips.

"Haha! I did it! I'm the coolest!" Satori laughed gleefully. Much to your distress, it seemed although he took notice of your little moment with Wakatoshi, as his eyes stared at you in an aggravating manner.

"Promise you won't overwork yourself again?" You asked, slightly tugging at the dark olive haired male's uniform, ignoring the red head who was eagerly watching you.

"I can't promise that," He stated bluntly.

You pouted in response, edging closer so you were a few centimetres away from his face. He gazed into your eyes, holding the eye contact as you spoke. "Please Wakatoshi?"

He watched as you pleaded with e/c orbs, before he continued. "I don't want to make any promises. But I'll try."

You smiled. It was good enough.