tangerine boy

a/n: hello! i'm elle and this is the first kagehina thing i've ever written, and i greatly hope you enjoy it! comments and votes are very much appreciated, and feel free to call out any mistakes i make. thank you so much for reading :)

Kageyama never thought of himself as a poet, per say. He did it as a hobby occasionally, but nothing really ever came of the things he wrote in his phone's notes app. No one ever read any of what he wrote, well, save for the 14327 people who followed him on Instagram.

He never meant for it to get like this, but maybe he just told himself that. He did put hashtags on every picture and poem written under the username "@lcnleyinthesky." But he definitely didn't want to blow up. Definitely.

It was a normal Thursday morning. He was staring across the room at the bubbly, orange haired boy he sets to sometimes. His hands were being controlled by the deepest part of his brain.

I never thought I'd fall for you

Tangerine boy

But your smile is contagious

And I've become your toy

It was normal for Kageyama to drift off—maybe that's why his grades were so bad—but it's become increasingly common for him to drift off to Hinata. He had no real way of explaining it, but he couldn't shake the deep seated appreciation he had developed for him. He'd never admit it though.

You make me feel heard

Safe, warm, and cared for

You make the pain go away

And I'm stuck to your lure

There was something indescribable about Hinata. Something so light and carefree and spectacular about him. Kageyama couldn't help but be enthralled in every little thing he did, whether it was racing him to practice or the way he jumped like he was flying or the way he would shout praise at other people during games. He was an enigma, and Kageyama wanted so desperately to dig deeper into it all.

I never thought I'd fall for you

Tangerine boy

But you're just spectacular

And I can't get by your ploy

All of the nights Kageyama spent introspectively setting a volleyball to his ceiling must've provided some internal answers, but whenever he sees Hinata that all gets blurry. Maybe it's a crush, but this feels different. Nevertheless, Hinata had a girlfriend.

You may not be mine

But I'll admire from afar

Because, Tangerine boy

You'll always be a star.