last time i checked

a/n: theres some excessive swearing in the poem on this chapter, so if that makes you uncomfortable i'd suggest skipping over the poem :). that's all, enjoy! 

Everyone shuffled out of the small hospital room and went back to their own respective homes, with the exception of Daichi and Sugawara, who went back to Karasuno to talk to Takeda about what had happened. Just as they arrived at the hospital, about an hour before, they had received word that Takeda had been given clearance to look at the cameras outside of the club room. The three all waited until the first possible moment to watch the tapes back, only to find unusually vertical black hair and a Seijoh tracksuit walk into the club room after a Kageyama that looked to be dancing, making them giggle slightly. The culprit was no doubt Kindaichi, or Turnip-head as Hinata called him. They told everyone else the next day.

Kageyama took about a week to return to practice. Mostly because Daichi and Sugawara forced him to heal a bit before playing, but something deep in Kageyama was scared of getting hurt again. It may sound silly, especially for a guy as scary as Kageyama, but something really detrimental happened when he got the shit beat out of him for no supposed reason.

On those days, Hinata wouldn't stay in the gym for some extra volleyball time. He'd, instead, make his way over to Kageyama's house. They'd do some light sets and serves and receives in the taller boy's yard--and maybe they kissed a few times while they were at it. Hinata would go home at around nine, give or take an hour, and then lay comfortably in his bed, smiling lightly up at the ceiling because he found his boyfriend just so charming.

When Kageyama returned to practice everything went back to normal. The energy was back to where it always was, but with a lot more anger and morale, this due to an upcoming practice game with Seijoh. Supposedly, Oikawa had called for it. No one at Aoba Johsai knew of what Kindaichi did to Kageyama, and Oikawa just wanted to oppose a setter that was up to his abilities once again.

That didn't mean Kageyama's life wasn't looking up, though. Every day he'd get secret hugs and kisses from Hinata, some like clockwork and some randomly. No one was suspicious of anything, but seeing his spiker in a different light made him appreciate some things more. His aura was lighter, anger less full of rage, and being let down didn't hurt as much. It was bliss, even if just for a moment.

The time then passed for the Aoba Johsai match to happen, and the fear started to bubble lightly with the whole team. Kageyama's bruises turned into a stark yellow and his broken skin had healed to just a few scabs, but it was still sort of noticeable that someone crossed him. Everyone hid their overwhelming anger in an attempt to have a normal game where they could actually improve alongside a powerful team, but Tanaka and Nishinoya had a hard time doing so.

"So? What the hell do you want with our setter, turnip-asshole!" Tanaka shouted at the first second he could vaguely see the top of Kindaichi's head.

"Tanaka! They invited us here! Calm down!" Daichi did as anyone would assume he would.

When Daichi is mad, he's scary, making everyone else be completely quiet until they were on the volleyball court, staring right into the eye's of Seijoh.

I tried so damn hard

To be perfect

For a person who clearly

Doesn't think I'm worth it

Seijoh had the first serve. Kunimi was in the position, and safely served the ball over the net. Daichi received the serve, sending it to Kageyama who set it to Asahi. Asahi broke through a single block from Iwaizumi. 1-0

When'd you give up?

Because I never did

And it really hurts to see

That you think I'm a kid

Karasuno had Tsukishima up to serve when they rotated. The Seijoh libero, Watari, received the ball and sent it to Oikawa, who set it to Kindaichi in the front row. The ball was blocked by Hinata, Asahi, and Tanaka. It landed on Aoba Johsai's side. 2-0

What the fuck happened?

Am I not good enough?

Because the last time I checked

You're the one who gave it up.

Tsukishima served again, but this time after the receive Oikawa sent the ball to Iwaizumi. Their ace feinted a ball over the Karasuno block. Seijoh took back the momentum. A few points passed to both teams. 8-10

What the fuck happened?

Who let you stop caring?

Because the last time I checked

You were the one who started this pairing

Oikawa was up to serve on the Seijoh side. Nishinoya was unable to receive them two times. Karasuno called for a timeout. 8-12

I tried so damn hard

And now I finally see

You only liked me for my power

Nothing deeper inside of me

Nishinoya followed through the next of Oikawa's serves. After a bit of back and forth, Asahi broke through a wall made by three Seijoh blockers. 9-12

What the fuck happened?

When'd you give up?

Because I never did

And it hurts to see you've had enough

Karasuno was at match point after a heated first set ending in a deuce. Hinata was up to serve, but was swapped out for Yamaguchi as a pinch server. Yamaguchi semi-anxiously took the ball in hand and cowered slightly in his eight seconds of spotlight. He completed a successful jump-float serve. The first set ended; 28-26, Karasuno.

The next set went similarly, ending in a tight Seijoh win. The third set ended in another Karasuno win and another deuce. 2-1.

The crows then went back to their own nest, enjoying a win but some of them regretting not giving Kindaichi a black eye or two. They supposed the win would have to be enough.