the day i found my smile

Kageyama was satisfied. Nothing bothered him as he laid in his bed and stared at his ceiling, smiling lightly at all of the things that happened that morning. The time passed quickly and comfortably, nothing happening for the rest of that day.

Hinata's parents didn't seem to mind his skipping school. They didn't mention it to him, and just ignored him as the time passed. Everything was normal, but he was happier than normal. Nothing of note happened, really. For either of them.

The next day though, right at the beginning of their normal morning practice, was different than normal. They both raced in, as they never planned on changing that. Hinata won again, but maybe only because Kageyama wanted to see Hinata's proud face.

Hinata smiled widely and his eyes crinkled at the corners "I'm catching up, Kageyama!"

"I'll win tomorrow, dumbass." Kageyama winked and placed a small kiss on Hinata's cheek just before they walked inside the gym.

Nishinoya noticed it first. "Woah! Hey! There's something different here."

Then Tanaka chimed in. "Yeahhhh" he dragged out the response.

It was Daichi's turn next to grill Kageyama and Hinata on why they disappeared the day prior. He put on his disappointed dad voice "I'm not mad, but why weren't you at practice yesterday? And Tsukishima said you weren't in class either. Where were you two?" His tone was stern but laced with concern, just as he typically sounded.

Before they could respond, Tsukishima interjected, "does the King have a second set of subjects? Hmm, your Majesty?"

"Well," Hinata was finally able to respond, "Kageyama-"

"We got here in the morning and left after something happened. I don't really want to spare the details, but it doesn't concern any of you very much." Kageyama finished the thought, reading Hinata's mind about not really wanting to come out yet. The shorter boy smiled lightly and ran further into the room, setting his stuff down. "Oh, I left my stuff in the club room. Is it still there?"
Sugawara made sure to leave it where it was, "Yeah, go get it."

The day I found my smile

Was the day you said you loved me

I realized things weren't that bad

And that you were the key

Kageyama walked off to where he assumed his bag was. He sauntered slowly there, contentment filling his brain.

The day I found my smile

Was the last day of my hell

Maybe there was good in this world

Maybe it's all just swell

Things were looking up, and he had never been more okay with it. Maybe his luck wasn't so horrible after all.

The day I found my smile

Was the day things got better

The world seemed less angry

And my heart began to flutter

Maybe Kageyama Tobio, a person who was filled with so much rage for so long, was actually allowed to be happy.

That smile wasn't good enough though

It could be destroyed

It could end just like before

And you won't help me anymore

That hope didn't last, however. It ended when he woke up on the floor of the club room, surrounded by his teammates, covered in his own blood.