Chapter 2 - Nothing lasts forever

Chapter 2 – Nothing lasts forever

The Next day, I was up quite early and decided to reward Ben with a big fry up breakfast. Unlike me, every part of his body was pure muscle and I had no idea how he kept that physique when his favourite hobby next to sleeping around was eating.

As I cooked in the very clean Kitchen, I found myself laughing at a memory of me calling him when he was ramming into some chick, and asking him if he wanted to follow me into to a new diner that had just opened up. Long story cut short he pulled out of the one night stand, had a shower, and drove to my place to pick me up. The girl wasn't too happy.

"What are you laughing at?" A deep sleepy voice asked from behind me.

I couldn't help but laugh harder as I imagined the facial expression on the broad's face.

"Come on......Tell me why you are laughing." Ben asked with a slightly increased curiosity.

After waiting a few more seconds, Ben picked me up and began to tickle me. "You're always up to no good you naughty...naughty...girl".

As I laughed my heart out in Ben's arms, I had forgotten about the pain that Harry and Avril caused me the previous day, I felt like the world was perfect and this was the perfect place for time to stop.

But as you already know, nothing lasts forever, my happy time with Ben was soon cut short by a text from my mother alerting me of the fact that my grandfather just had his fifth heart attack in the space of six months and that the doctors felt like he might not have much longer to live.

Just like that, my world was spinning around for the second time in two days, and I was back on my the ground crying as next to my mother, my grandfather was the second most important person in my life. After my father's wrecking ball of a divorce when I was five, he moved in with my mother and I and kept my mother from running completely crazy. He was the main father figure in my life and was always on my side every time my mother and I were arguing.

Ben soon crouched down next to me before he pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead.

"Oh Hazel, I hate it when you cry" He said as he wiped the tears in my eyes.

"What am I going to do Ben? I....I can't afford to lose him now...Why is life so unfair?" I asked whilst sobbing into Ben's protective arms.

"Don't worry Hazel, I'll always be here for you." Ben reassured.

"Are you sure?" I said as I looked at him from the underneath of my lashes.

"As sure as the sun rising from the east and setting in the west" He said has he gave me a genuine smile.

Just over an hour later, I busted into my grandfather's private hospital room without thinking how my mother could afford such luxuries on her minimal salary as an unsuccessful real estate agent.

As I entered, I ignored all the people in the room and headed straight to my grandfather's side.

"Abeulo.....Are you okay?" I asked as I tried not to cry.

"My darling Hazel..." A weak voice replied.

"You can't leave me now....You promised to walk me down the aisle" I said with segments of tears now forming in my eyes.

"I might not be able to walk you down the aisle, but I will still give you away." He said as a smile struggled to cover his face.

My grandfather waved over one of the other people in the room, and that was the first time I ever laid eyes on him.

The man that stood in front of me was like no other male I have ever seen, he was over six foot tall, had broad shoulders, his hair was as dark as the night sky, all the muscles that he probably spent years in the gym to build could even be seen t...

The man that stood in front of me was like no other male I have ever seen, he was over six foot tall, had broad shoulders, his hair was as dark as the night sky, all the muscles that he probably spent years in the gym to build could even be seen through his blazer and finally, I was so sure that his eyes could pierce through a thousand souls.

"Hazel meet Caleb, and Caleb meet Hazel" my grandfather slowly said.

My grandfather took my hand with his left hand, and Caleb's hand with his right before joining them together in front of my mother and the other stranger that stood in the room.

"You two will now be man and wife from this day forth and forever more." He said while struggling to breathe.

"Abeulo....what do you mean?!" I protested, "I can't possibly marry a man I know nothing about!"

"Your fate was decided over sixty years ago my beautiful Hazel nut" He said as he looked straight at Caleb.

"Take care of her...." My grandfather's words began to slur and the many machines that were connected to him began to make scary noises and flash red lights. A swarm of doctors and nurses soon came flying in, and the last thing I remember before I blacked out was "Time of death 12:01".