Chapter 3 - People like me

Chapter 3 – Someone like me

So there I was seated opposite my future husband and grandfather-in-law with my mother at my side, it had only been a month since my grandfather died and two weeks after he was buried, and we were already talking about the wedding preparations.

"I don't want to get married!" I said angrily for the third time.

"No offense Grandfather Crofts, but I can't do it." I said with a sigh.

"But sweetheart that was what your grandfather wanted." The old man explained with a calm and collected voice.

"But ...But.....I don't love him." I whispered as I pointed at his god of a grandson that had shown no emotion since he got here.

"I am positive the love will grow as the two of you co-habit together." The old man confidently said as he smirked, he must have known that his grandson was every woman's wet dream.

"I have a boyfriend." I growled even though it was no longer true. Then the strangest thing happened, I saw the corner of the handsome grandson's lips curve into a smile.

"Ahhhh....I see, I was wondering who the gentleman that was suspiciously close to you during the funeral was." The old man inquisitively responded.

Thinking back, he was right, a man did comfort me during the last month and refused to leave my side unless it was for an incredibly important issue, but that man wasn't my boyfriend, it was Ben my best friend. In fact my piece of shit ex-boyfriend did not even bother to contact me. I can't imagine what I ever saw in him.

My mother bursted into a laughing fit "Do you mean Ben?" She asked as she desperately tried to hold in her laughter.

"Those two have been close since they were in nappies!" She said seconds before she entered her second laughing fit.

"I was talking about Harry" I muttered underneath my breath.

The old man cleared his throat before he sternly said "Child....I promised Antonio that our children would get married sixty-seven years ago and once again at his death bed, this marriage will happen and there shall not be any hindrances." The old man now got up "I suggest you end things with this boyfriend you keep bringing up." The old man shook my mom's hand and handed her a card before making his way out of the expensive restaurant he had booked for the meeting.

As soon as the unwanted dinner guests were out the door, my mom punched me.

"Hey! What was that for?" I asked in annoyance.

"Hazel are you out of your mind?!" My mom growled.

"Ben told me that Harry broke up with you a while back so I know you are single! Why on earth are you turning down this marriage?" She questioned.

"Caleb is a great catch, he is handsome and rich! He is most womens' dream guy!" she passionately added.

"I'm sorry mom, I can't marry someone I don't love, besides look at me." I said as I pointed at my overweight body, "Men like Caleb wouldn't go for people like me."

"What do you mean people like me?!" my mom shouted as she angrily stared at me. My mother could never understand though, even after having me, her body was still quite fit and snatched. She was very beautiful with long black curly hair and could make most men her age and even younger bend to her will. I always wondered how something so round and chubby like me came out of her tiny body.

"Mija, you're beautiful, smart, honest, loving, caring, and selfless, Caleb would be very lucky to have you by his side." She said as she pulled me into a hug.