Chapter 11 - I Am Caleb Crofts

Chapter 11 – I Am Caleb Crofts

Caleb's P.O.V

Growing up people always said I had the perfect life; they always made sure I was aware of the fact that I was born into a wealthy family, had the perfect parents, had a grandfather that adored me, had the biggest trust funds amongst my friends, w...

Growing up people always said I had the perfect life; they always made sure I was aware of the fact that I was born into a wealthy family, had the perfect parents, had a grandfather that adored me, had the biggest trust funds amongst my friends, went on the best holidays, and was blessed with incredibly good looks. Only some of those were true.

You see I had grown up with a power hungry mother who hated the fact that her father (my grandfather) wouldn't hand over his position as CEO and Chairman to her despite her numerous attempts to prove herself worthy to him, a gambling addict that had been caught laundering money from my grandfather's company several times as a father, and well a drug addict that had relapsed countless times as an older sister.

I loved my family like children were taught to; however growing up with them as we all lived in my grandfather's mansion was simply embarrassing. My grandfather would always scold them and tell them how disappointed he was with their disgraceful behaviour, and as I was the apple of my grandfather's eye, my father, mother, and sister hated on me constantly.

I sadly did not have a loving family like most people did, and my family life was nothing like it appeared to be on the outside. Money did not bring happiness and it always seemed that my only purpose in life was serving my grandfather.

When my grandfather told me he had picked out a bride for me, I didn't argue back. The only thought that ran through my mind at the point in time was how to breakup with Britney the woman that I had been seeing for the last three years. It wasn't like I loved her or anything, and sure she was pretty and good in bed, but I could tell that my grandfather disliked her and knew it wasn't going to work out from the beginning.

As my grandfather and I headed towards Croft headquarters that morning in a fancy black Limousine, we both sat in silence. My normally chatty grandfather stared out the limo's window and continuously sighed.

"What's wrong grandfather?" I worriedly asked.

"I just can't believe he's gone, Korea still feels like yesterday." He solemnly replied.

"I should have made more time for him." My Grandfather continued.

"I shouldn't have let the company get in the way." He said while taking off his glasses and wiping the water droplets that formed in his eyes. I was close to pitying the old man before he looked up at me with a stern facial expression and asked "How are things going with Hazel?"

I felt my body stiffen at the question, how was I meant to tell him that the last time I had spoken to the fat yet somewhat attractive ball of fury was the time he visited my penthouse unannounced a couple of days ago, and even then, I was lucky the nutty hamster (my new nickname for Hazel), spent the night.

I carefully thought about what was going to come out of my mouth next, "Grandfather I –", but before I could execute the perfect lie which involved saying that I have been busy with the acquisition of Sharp Watches, my grandfather sighed " You've never failed me Caleb, I'm sure you won't follow your parents footsteps." With that the silence that once loomed over us continued, and I started thinking of strategies to pacify the angry fiancée that I had fingered, and made fun of about how easy she was.