Chapter 14 - Ring Shopping

Two days after the unsuccessful meeting of the families, I was seated on my desk tirelessly looking at my computer's screen, I missed my best friend like mad, and not speaking to him for so long still made my heart hurt. Ben and I had always had arguments and avoided each other, but it was never this bad and it never lasted this long.

I looked away from my computer screen and sighed, "Things will get better." I encouraged myself.

After an inefficient morning of work, it was finally lunchtime and the thought of eating a hot well cooked meal made my mood slightly better. It was around 1pm in the afternoon when I got a call from my unwanted future husband.

"Come outside." He commanded in a low voice.

"Why?" I responded in contemplation to just cut the call.

"Grandfather wants me to take you ring shopping." He answered sounding irritated.

"Just pick a stupid ring." I shot back not caring what the wedding band that spelt forever between I and my future husband looked like.

"Nutty Hamst-"I heard him say out loud before he swallowed back his words.

"Hazel, I am not in the mood to argue with you today, nor do I have time for your attitude." He said sternly, "So please bring your fat ass downstairs and into my car so my chauffer can drive us to the mall to choose and buy wedding rings."

I wanted to snap back at him and ask who he was calling fat, but I felt so tired and upset about the whole Ben situation. I found myself grabbing my handbag and telling my colleagues that I was off to lunch. I just didn't have it in me to argue with Caleb.

Once I exited the building, I was ushered by Caleb's chauffer into a black Mercedes and sat next to my unwanted future husband who didn't bother to acknowledge me not like I cared. I spent the fifteen minutes drive to wherever the car was headed looking outside the car's window. I felt like disappearing and running away. "How could Ben do this?" I thought to myself while a tear ran down my face. We were soon dropped off in front of a lavish store called Giordano's Designs.

As we walked up to the store front, Caleb's phone rang, so he told me to go ahead and enter the store while he stood outside and answered his call. The insides of the store looked more extravagant than the outside, and as I browsed through the jewelleries that were priced well into tens of thousands of dollars, I bumped into a woman.

"Watch where you're going you elephant." The woman roared.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to bump into you." I sincerely apologised.

"Now my dress is all wrinkly." She stated dryly. "Are you going to pay for the dry cleaning?"

I looked at the woman's dress that looked untouched and looked back at her in confusion.

"I did not stain your dress, and see no reason I should pay for dry cleaning." I calmly replied.

The woman huffed and puffed and a few seconds later, I felt a stinging sensation on my cheeks.

"Get this cheap lump of fat out of here." The woman shouted, and to my surprise, I saw two sales representatives and the security guard rush to my side.

"Please leave the premises." One of the snooty sales assistant rudely said.

"What! Why?!" I questioned still not sure what was going on.

"No offense Mam, but you don't look like you can afford the cheapest item here." The second sales assistant answered.

By now the security guard had tightened his grip on me, and just as he was about to throw me out, I heard Caleb growl "What's going on here?!"