Chapter 9: Adventures on Zombie Island

Midoriya was in the library, reading a book about the many regions and towns of Sequin Land and beyond. Ever since his adventure in Hypno Baron's castle and the clash at Mermaid Falls, he felt as if he should prepare himself for any future adventures that he might end up going on with Shantae. He was currently reading about a creepy island that was just as, if not more, creepy than Hypno Baron's castle. The island was simply known as Zombie Island.

"Hmm," he whispered to himself. "Is that where Rottytops lives? Sounds like just the perfect place for her. But if that's her home, how does she make her way here to Scuttle Town? Does she swim there? I guess it's possible since she's a zombie. What kind of monsters live there? Are there other zombies as well? Maybe I should..."

"Hey, Midoriya," said a voice from behind him.

Midoriya jumped at the sound and crashed backwards on his chair. Groaning while dazed, he looked up and saw the cheerful expression of Rottytops looking down at him.

"Oh, hi, Rottytops," he said politely.

"Hi, Midoriya," said Rottytops. "Sorry about that. You were muttering and I tried to get your attention. Are you okay?"

Midoriya nodded with a shy smile. "Yeah," he answered. "I'm okay. No need to worry."

Rotty smiled at the green-haired boy. "So what are you up to?" She asked.

"Oh," said Midoriya. "I'm doing some research on Sequin Land and the other areas. Just trying to get familiar with the geography here."

"I see," said Rottytops. "What area are you reading about right now?"

"Zombie Island," answered Midoriya. "Judging by the name and look of the island, I assume that this is your home?"

"That's right," said Rottytops. "I live there with my brothers, Abner and Poe."

"Wait, you have brothers?" Asked Midoriya curiously. "What are they like?"

"They're very nice brothers," said Rottytops. "Abner is a bit protective. Poe is very caring and helpful. I'm sure they'd like to meet you."

"Are you sure about that?" Asked Midoriya. 

"Of course," answered Rottytops. "They just want to make sure I'm in good hands. You're a nice fella. So I'm certain that you'd be okay in their eyes."

Midoriya placed a hand on his chin and began to think. Hmm, I wonder how I could get to Zombie Island. I can't swim there because, according to the map, it's very far away. Come to think of it, I think I saw a boat dock when Shantae and I fought Risky Boots. Maybe I can somehow rent a boat and visit the island. 

Rottytops noticed Midoriya deep in thought. "Oh," she said. "Are you planning to visit Zombie Island soon?"

"Um... maybe," answered Midoriya. "I'd love to explore the surrounding areas! The Carpet Racetrack, Saliva Island, Tan Island, and all the other areas! I wanna see them all!"

Rottytops giggled at the green-haired boy's enthusiasm. "Well, maybe we can rent a boat sometime so we can visit my home."

Midoriya gave her a big smile. "That sounds like fun! Maybe I'll be able to meet your brothers and..."

"Hey, sis," said a new voice. "Need some urgent help! Pronto!"

The two friends turned around and saw a male zombie. He had the same green hair and light green skin as Rottytops. He wore yellow glasses, a purple sweater with a yellow overcoat, and a pair of purple pants with black shoes. The most notable feature was a pair of little... bat wings?