Chapter 9 - In The Shadows

It had been a month since Adam joined the team. Since Superman died. Since the vial of Vertigo was stolen. Batman was back in action and had already started investigating. Adam had been going on missions with The Team and had gotten to know each and every one of them, but his first friends were still his best friends. Right now, they were getting ready to infiltrate an event held by Lex Luthor. He was holding a proposition for Bruce Wayne to merge both their companies. It was being held at LuthorCorp. As he was a prime suspect for the death of Superman, they were going to interrogate him.

MountJustice - 6:38pm

"How are we going to infiltrate LuthorCorp? The security there is unbelievable! Motion sensors, facial recognition, Laser grids, you name it. The facial recognition will have all of our faces in the database." Said Kid Flash, as he looked at the blueprints of the place.

"It doesn't have my face." Said Adam

"And I could shape shift into a random reporter or something." Added Miss Martian.

"Good plan. Artemis and Zatanna will stay in the bioship above the building in case there are any problems. Burnout and Miss Martian will do the.... kidnapping and Superboy and I will stand guard as Robin and Miss Martian interrogate him. Suit up."

Adam borrowed a suit from Bruce Wayne closet, although Robin did not explain where he got it and M'gann shape shifted into a blonde woman in a white dress. If they got into a sticky situation, Adam couldn't summon his swords and risk blowing their cover so he summoned a wrist blades (see picture). He put them on each of his wrists and retracted the blade.

"How I missed you, stealthy knives" He said.

"Are you ready?" Miss Martian asked him.

"Yeah. Let's go."

They were going to arrive in one of Bruce's limos. They presented fake invitations and entered the ball room.

"Is everyone online?" Asked Miss Martian as she set up a telepathic link. Everyone was on and they proceeded with the plan.

"You two split up." Said Artemis. "You'll find him faster that way." They broke apart and wandered through the ball room.

"He's in my sights. Zatanna, Artemis is the perimeter clear." Said Adam.

"All hostiles M.I.A." reported Zatanna

He spotted Luthor talking to Bruce Wayne himself. He was about to engage when a tall and fairly pretty brunette in a red dress stepped in front of him.

"Care to dance?" She said. He realized how stupid and obvious he must have looked, just walking around a ball room, aimlessly.

"Sure." He said. They swerved around the dance floor, but Adam kept his eyes on Lex.

"What's your name?" She asked.

Small talk.

"Derrick. Derrick Baxter" He said, off the top of his head.

"Thea Queen. So who are you here with?"

He was about to answer when he saw Miss Martian making her way to Luthor.

"I have to go." He said as he pulled away.

As he was about to make his move on Luthor, a voice from the intercom sounded. "There has been a breach in the security. This room is on lockdown. Some guard bots came and blocked all the entrances.

"Don't freak out. They haven't discovered you yet." Said Robin through the link.

"Miss M. I have a plan.. Just stay with Luthor."

He went to on of the entrances an extended the blades on his wrist blades. He stealthily stabbed one of the robot guards in the back then used his other one to cut off its neck. Nobody had noticed him yet. Then he threw the robot right in the middle of the room. Then there was chaos. People were running for the exits as fast as they could. No one had seen where it had come from, but everyone of them had the feeling that they would be next. Adam used the crowds as cover and stabs two robots in the face. M'gann took out the robots guarding Luthor and Adam gagged him, covered his face with his hands and took him behind the building. Robin came out from the bioship and tried to interrogate Luthor. Adam removed Luthor's gag and Robin started questioning him.

"What do you know about the death of Superman?" Asked Robin.

"And why should I tell you?"

"You don't need to." Said M'gann as she tried read his mind.

"I can't. I feel a recent presence of Psimon here. It would be dangerous to enter." Said Miss Martian.
Luthor pressed his first suit button, then men wearing black all over started showing up in helicopters and hummers.

"Zatanna, Artemis give us covering fire from the bioship. Burnout, get Luthor away." Everybody obeyed and Adam took him back into the ball room.

"You think I could be intimidated by a bunch of little children?"

"You'd be surprised how much pain a litle child can inflict." Adam said. He grabbed one of Lex's fingers, then bent it at his joint leaving it in an awkward and obviously painful shape. Luthor screamed in pain.

"Nine more, so you better start talking." said Adam.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

Two unexpected guests jumped into the battlefield. Devastation landed on the bioshipn and started punching it while Psimon came and hit Aqualad and Robin with a psychic blast. They flew back and crashed into some boxes. Psimon tried to knock all of them out by going into their minds, but he was stopped by Miss Martian who started a psychic battle with him. Superboy jumped up to the bioship and tackled Devastation offthe ship and they both went crashing down to the ground. While in the air , Devastation grabbed him and turned him upside down and made him land crashing down oon his head, knocking him out.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

You're more reselient than I thout, Mr. Luthor." said Adam. Lex Luthor had ten broken fingers and was rolling on the floor crying out for 'mercy' ." "I don't feel comfortable doing this Lex, but yoiu need to give me some answers, else I'll have no reason to stop." he raised up his foot and stepped on Lex's foot, utterly destroying the bones there. 

"Ok, ok Dammit I'll tell you. We call ourselves The Light...." said Lex. But before he could finish sentence, Devastation crashed through the door and hit Adam with a two-handed club and hit Adam, sending him crashing through walls. He tried to get up but he could not. The last thing he saw was Lex Luthor's boot coming down on his face.