31. Right

Blake turns the key and the car comes to a halt,"I hope he feels better. Text me when you guys come back, okay?"

My brows knit in confusion,"Are you not coming with me?"

He shrugs casually,"No, right now he needs you," he smiles softly,"And I'm not saying this beacuse you are his girlfriend. I'm saying this beacuse I know you guys connect on something much deeper than just liking each other."

"Are you sure?" I question.

He nods firmly,"Yup, I'll talk to him tommorow. Now go before he changes his mind."

I smile at him and wrap my hands around his shoulders in a hug,"Thank you so much."

He hugs me back and we both pull away after a moment. I get out of the car and start my way to the lake, waving a final bye to him. I check my phone for the thousandth time, seeing if there is any text from Ash, saying that he doesn't want to see me now. There isn't, thank god. I just want to reach him; as blake said, before he changes his mind.

I start running in the direction of the lake. There is a clear pathway leading to it, which I wasn't able to see for the first time I came here, due to the dark. I slower my pace when the lake comes into sight and release a big sigh when my eyes fall on a figure sitting on the dock. If the dark hair and broad shoulders don't give away, the red hoddie I love on him does give.

I walk to him tentatively, worried on what to expect. He has his knees brought up to his chest, with his arms wrapped around them. His eyes are staring off into the water, not budging for a second, even when I slowly take a seat beside him. I sit with my legs stretched forward and hands clasped.

I gaze at the reflection of him in the water, embracing the silence between us. I watch as his eyes turn towards me. He looks at me for a moment and then leans himself to lay his head on my lap. I suppress my shocked gasp and bring my hand to stroke his hair. His eyes close at the feeling and a tired sigh leaves his mouth.

A few silent moments pass before he speaks,"My dad called yesterday," my hand in his hair stops,"The first thing he did was confirm if my birthday is on Friday," he opens his eyes and looks up at me,"I was so surprised that he remembered. The last wish he gave me was when I turned nine," he smiles weakly,"But I should've known better. Of course he didn't call me to ask what I want for my birthday. It was about what he wants."

He gives a frustrated sigh and sits up,"Why am I like this? Why do I keep expecting shit from him? When am I gonna finally accept that he doesn't fucking care about me?" I rub his back with my left hand comfortingly.

I slide my right hand into his and whisper,"What did he say?"

"He wants me to race on Friday. There was no race this week Lee," he turns his face to me in agitation,"He planned this, he somehow knew that it's my birthday and he wanted to fucking ruin it for me," my hand stills at his words,"He knows I can't say no, he knows how helpless I am and he wants to take advantage of it every single time," he bites his lip,"He is controlling me and I can't do anything about it."

I squeez his hand and continue rubbing his back,"He sounded so smug when he ordered for me to be there," he purses his lips and closes his eyes,"The one day I want to spend with the ones I love, he comes and crashes it all. He doesn't like it when I'm happy you know?" he opens his eyes and looks at me, his eyes holding unshed tears,"I dont wanna care, but I still do. I want it to stop, I don't want to be his puppet anymore. I don't want him to control me, my emotions. I just want to escape it all."

A lone tear slips from his eye and my heart breaks at the sight. I slide closer and wrap my arms around his shoulders. He burries his face into my neck and clutches onto me. I peck his head multiple times, making him know I'm here for him. He sniffles and places light kisses on my neck.