Part 24

You walked around downtown for over ten minutes. The night had been everything you had expected it to be. Your mom had made it apparent a year after your dad had died that you weren't wanted for anything, but the nice paycheck you brought in every week the black eyes confirmed it. Your dad had been your ally, someone to vent to when things with your mom became sour, so making the promise that your mom would be kept safe was more to ease his mind than to benefit her.

Shaking your head, you noticed the park you had brought Paul to after the diner. Smiling you walked to the bench, both of you had sat at to 'people watch' and talk before he had to leave—the beginning of hope and happiness after being in hell for so long. "What the hell am I supposed to do?" you asked, looking up toward the sky like there was going to be some sign. Every moment with Paul up until tonight had been great with Paul, from four months of phone calls to the few days you had spent together.

 The flood opened as tears flooded your face as you shook. Overthinking had to be the worst quality about you. Instead of going with what your heart was telling you, to leave this hell hole and take a chance. Your head, like usual, had you sitting at a park crying your eyes out and finding fault in something you had no control of.

"Y/N? Are you okay" you heard a familiar voice behind you as you quickly wiped your face to see Paul walking up to the bench and taking a seat beside you.

"I'm just so lost on what to do, Paul, you were right about everything. They beat me over the head with the negativity for so long that I don't believe that I deserve you or anything good." You sobbed out, trying to catch your breath.

Paul pulled you to him rubbing your back as you buried your face in his neck, trying to stop crying. "I know in some way what you're feeling Y/N. My family was not supportive and believed 'Tough Love' was the answer in raising us. Jake, in a way, is like how my sister was the center of attention. Since I stayed out of trouble, they acted like I didn't need to be looked after."

You pulled back from his neck and looked at him. This was the first time he had spoken about anything from his life besides little Evan. "how did you manage to get through it all and have a normal life? You don't seem to be held down by guilt or anxiety. You asked

"Well it took a long time to get here, I just knew I didn't want to be like my parents or my sister, so I started going to therapy at fifteen, and I still go when I can. The one thing I know is you can't control everyone else for their happiness or your own. I tried to do that with every part of my life from the band to my personal relationships. I was pretty miserable after Pam, and I split up until about four months ago. He said, smiling at you.

"Thank you for telling me that. I guess we do have more in common than I thought. You laughed, wiping your eyes. I love you Paul", you said, realizing it was the first time you had said it first.

"I love you too Y/N, So do you want to continue down memory lane since we are at the park? Paul asked"No, I think I would rather make new memories with you in California." Looking over at him, waiting for him to respond.

He quickly snapped his head up and looked at you with a grin, "You're going to go to California with me?"Yes, Paul, I'm going with you to Calif.." you tried to finish but was stopped by Paul kissing you.

"I'm so fucking excited about this Y/N, kissing you one more time, do you want to go back to the room or grab food?" he asked.

You leaned your head against his shoulder, thinking. "We should probably grab food since we haven't eaten all day, so you have some strength. "

"Oh, so you did have plans to take advantage of me? He said, looking at you with mock shock.

"Oh yeah, like you don't like it, "Leaning up to kiss him.

"How about we go grab food at the bar and restaurant at the hotel? Then we can talk about 

California, have food, a few drinks, and then go upstairs" He winked, standing up, holding out his hand.

"Sounds great, you've got a lot to tell me about before we leave in the next few days," you said

He wrapped his arm around your shoulder and kissed your head as you both walked down the sidewalk back to the hotel. Both feeling the comfort of being happy.