Shortbread: 18

"Jaemin?"

Jeno's voice was rough, his tongue felt like sandpaper on the back of his throat but his body felt numb. So numb that he hadn't noticed Jaemin's head resting soundly on his stomach until his eyes fluttered open, stinging from dryness and bright fluorescent lights.

He tried to move his arm, to nudge Jaemin who was sound asleep, but it was unusually heavy and wouldn't move.

Then he remembered everything, realised where he was and what had happened.

Jaemin awoke as the steady bleeping on the heart rate monitor that had at one point lulled him to sleep, started to beat faster and faster, almost racing, Jeno wasn't able to thrash in suprise but his eyes were wide and his free hand that lay in front of Jaemin's face was trembling.

Jaemin sat bolt upright and his hands fluttered about nervously as he saw the state Jeno was in. "Jeno? Jeno hey.. shushh don't worry I'm here, I'm here. Calm down."

He brushed his hair back from his face and ran a thumb over jenos cheekbone in his best attempt to calm his nerves.

"Water. I need-"

"Oh! Oh god yeah let me just..." he hopped up into action, his legs buzzing like the static of a television as the blood flow to his lower body had been cut off, and stumbled across the hospital room to grab a glass of water a nurse had brought him.

By the time Jaemin had returned Jeno had hauled himself upright in excruciating pain, but was now sitting at eye level with Jaemin as he seated himself once more, handing him a glass.

"Jaemin... I don't understand. They found us- why are you here still?"

"I'm not gonna just leave you. I'm so sorry Jeno. Besides, I called Doyoung and he told me to stay with you until he gets here."

"You did what?"

"I knew you wouldn't like it but I think he'd want to know Jeno."

Jeno let out a long drawn out breath and closed his eyes, leaning his head back and pinching the bridge of his nose with his free hand.

"Does it... does it hurt?"

Jeno gave Jaemin a small smile with an hint of sadness in his eyes. "Not really. I cant really feel anything."

Jaemins lips tugged downwards. "Jeno I'm so sorry. After this you never have to speak to me again. I should leave, it's not safe for you."

Anger and guilt was swimming in Jaemins stomach again, and he dropped his head unable to meet jeno's eyes.

"I like being with you Jaemin, and you need help."

"Not at the cost of someone I care about. I'm not worthy of that. You don't deserve to be hurt because of me and it was selfish."

"Jaemin," Jeno reached out and tilted Jaemin's head up from the chin, glancing between his eyes until he finally looked up. Jeno's eyes crinkled in a crescent, his lips turning a small smile. The guilt was washing over Jaemin in waves now.

"Jaemin it's not your fault I got hurt, and if I hadn't have been there you could have died. So I don't care what happened. It's those people that are the enemy; not you."

Tears were stinging at Jaemin's eyes now. Jeno wiped them away with his thumb as they ran down Jaemin's cheek. With a sniffle, Jaemin collected himself and shook the tears off, an embarrassmed and pained smile plastered on his face. He picked up jenos healthy hand and traced a circle on the back of his palm, the image blurring and doubling as he tried not to let the tears spill from his eyes once more.